Environment  <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/>     GM food
banned in Monsanto canteen         By Michael McCarthy, Environment
Correspondent
<http://www.independent.co.uk/search/simple.do?destinationSectionUniqueN\
ame=search&publicationName=ind&pageLength=5&startDay=1&startMonth=1&star\
tYear=2010&useSectionFilter=true&useHideArticle=true&searchString=byline\
_text:(%22By Michael McCarthy, Environment
Correspondent%22)&displaySearchString=By Michael McCarthy, Environment
Correspondent>
Wednesday 22 December 1999
Monsanto, the biggest promoter of genetically modified food, was hoist
with its own petar when it was disclosed that it has a staff canteen in
which GM produce is banned.
Monsanto, the biggest promoter of genetically modified food, was hoist
with its own petar when it was disclosed that it has a staff canteen in
which GM produce is banned.

The firm running the canteen at Monsanto's pharmaceuticals factory at
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, serves only GM-free meals, Friends of the
Earth said. In a notice in the canteen, Sutcliffe Catering, owned by the
Granada Group, said it had taken the decision "to remove, as far as
practicable, GM soya and maize from all food products served in our
restaurant. We have taken the above steps to ensure that you, the
customer, can feel confident in the food we serve."

Monsanto confirmed the position. "Yes, this is the case, and it is
because we believe in choice," said the company's spokesman, Tony
Coombes. But employees at Monsanto's agribusiness plant at Cambridge
were happy to eat GM produce, he said. "The notice in the restaurant
there says some products may contain GMOs [genetically modified
organisms] - because our staff are happy to eat food sprayed with fewer
chemicals."

Monsanto says crops engineered to be tolerant of its own weedkillers
need less pesticide, but critics say that though the dosage may be less,
the impact on the environment of these pesticides is much greater.
Adrian Bebb, Friends of the Earth's food campaigner, said: "The public
has made its concerns about GM ingredients very clear - now it appears
that even Monsanto's own catering firm has no confidence in this new
technology."