--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > <snip>
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > If people didn't want to partake of the distribution system,
they
> > > didn't have to...they could still waste their time lugging
water
> > > around all day.
> >
> > Was the amount of money they could have made if
> > they didn't have to lug water equal to a quarter
> > of their income?
> >
> > If not, then lugging the water wasn't wasting time,
> > it was keeping them from losing some of their hard-
> > earned money.
>
> Sorry Shemp, all wrong.

"All wrong"?

> Bechtel bought the local water distribution
> system that was already in place.

It may have been in place but it wasn't working.  But, again, I was
trying to correct the mistaken impression that they bought
the "water supply" which they did not do: it was the distribution
system...the people were still free to lug water without using the
distribution system.

>  That's what "PRIVITAZATION" means,
> to transfer ownership of an existing publicly owned and operated
> utility to the private sector.  Maybe Bechtel planned to expand the
> existing system to new undeveloped areas in the future,

My understanding is that the system WASN'T WORKING and that's why
Bechtel was brought in in the first place, to make work a
distribution system that wasn't supplying distribution of water.

Plus, it was still going to be a regulated distribution system:
Bechtel would only be able to charge a regulated price -- giving
them a reasonable rate of return on their investment -- and people
who did NOT want to partake of the system would still be free to lug
the free water they had always lugged.

> but they never
> got around to doing that, only got around to drastically raising
> existing water prices - how do you drastic raise existing water
prices
> for someone who's getting water from a well?

That was my point; you don't.  People were still free to get the
water from a well for free AFTER the distribution system would have
been fixed and working.

>  The Bolivian gov't may
> be doing an inefficient job of operating the water utility and
need to
>  get kick in the butt by some reformers, but the Bechtel contract
made
> things much worse.

Actually, my understanding is that the Bechtel contract give the
first hope that people would have a working distribution system.