--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:
<snip>
> The following by Sigiswald Kuijken is on the Baroque violin,
> and instrument either in its original condition or restored
> to that (smaller bass bar, flatter bridge, straighter and
> shorter neck, gut strings, the lowest string wound with
> silver wire, and the outward curved bow, and a lower pitch,
> probably a=415Hz).
<snip>

> Kuijken also recently directed a recording the Bach Brandenburg Concertos for
> the first time without historical compromise, using da spalla cellos, and
> uncompromised hunting horns without hand stopping and the fiendish trumpet
> part in concerto 2 played by Jean-François Madeuf on a fully natural trumpet
> for the first time with a Baroque mouthpiece
<snip>

> Kuijken Bach Chaconne Baroque Violin (in two parts)
> http://youtu.be/_0B4-2MkkR8
> http://youtu.be/sHkW2mbbX4g

Loved the sound, really didn't care for the faster tempo.
Some in the comments were saying the piece *had* to be
played faster on this instrument, but I'd like to hear
what it would sound like a few hairs slower.

BTW, I found a video of Kuijken's Brandenburg No. 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTiJEn76UTM

Madeuf is obviously from some other planet where they've
learned how to genetically enhance the embouchure. ;-)

> Feruccio Busoni made a transcription of the Bach Ciaconna
> for piano. Here is a version played by Artur Rubinstein
> (according to his son Rubenstein signed his name Arthur
> when in English speaking countries, adapting to the local
> usage).
>
> Rubinstein Bach-Busoni Chaconne (in two parts)
> http://youtu.be/VZtg6pKdtlM
> http://youtu.be/YVqZ7_V6RCc

Sorry, but however he spells his name, it's a waste of
effort, IMHO, to play this piece on a piano. Just left me
cold.

> I have an LP recording of this arrangement on a piano made in
> 1800. Unlike the Rubinstein recording, the pianist arpeggios
> the chords which have an exquisite effect on this instrument.
> I could not find any versions of this recording on the Internet,
> but here is a recording of that piano with Charles Rosen playing
> Scarlatti.
<snip>
> Charles Rosen / Scarlatti / Siena Pianoforte
> http://youtu.be/Qa-ySUplfNU

This wouldn't be my instrument of choice for Scarlatti.
At the top of the range the notes sound tinny and pinched
to me, and at the bottom they're more like a piano. It's
only in the middle that they have that lovely bell-like
harp sound. I found that variation disconcerting.

<snip>
> entrancing Italian instrument rebuilt with a French keyboard
> which allowed few more notes and thus strings (I believe the
> pitch was a=410Hz). He recorded 555 sonatas, two per day until
> the project was done. He said he had persistence, but no
> patience. The first of the two sonatas on this youtube video
> is with that entrancing Italian instrument; I am not sure about
> the second one.
>
> Scott Ross / Scarlatti
> http://youtu.be/RrNj8R7f07I

Loved this. Just gorgeous.