> on 8/19/05 2:18 PM, shempmcgurk at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
> >

> > Of course, the Hare Krishnas go beyond all of that: they believe
> > that the karma of killing so many cows for consumption in
America is
> > very, very bad.  Indeed, I remember about 25 years ago when some
> > nutcase went into a MacDonald's and shot everyone in sight that
the
> > Krishna's released a press statement saying that that was direct
> > karma for killing millions of cows.
> >
> > I heard that Sattynand (one of MMY's disciples) said that the
reason
> > America doesn't have any great leaders is that they eat them all.
>
> Maharishi said it. I used to have the tape. He said all cows are
reborn not
> only as humans, but as teachers. If we kill cows before they are
allowed to
> reach their full development as cows, then sub-standard teachers
is born,
> incapable of understanding and teaching pure knowledge, and the
society is
> doomed to ignorance.

There's a movie from 1972 starring Lee Marvin called "Prime Cut"
which I saw as a teenager when it first came out.  The opening scene
is of a slaughterhouse, shown in great detail.

Well, I was put off from eating red meat for about a month as a
result of seeing this footage.  Nevermind that the killers in the
film used the slaughterhouse as a way to dispose of humans they had
killed (their meat was mixed in with the saugage); that wasn't what
turned me off of red meat...it was the depiction of what goes on in
a slaughter house that does.

As a result it has always been my contention that if organisations
like PETA want to stop the mass consumption of red meat in our
society all they have to do is mass distribute DVDs of slaugterhouse
activity and that alone will be enough to turn people off red meat.

In addition to that, footage of the recent innovation of "farming"
of cattle in confined spaces would also serve the same purpose.

I actually have an admiration for hunters.  Growing up in a large
city I had an innate prejudice against hunters and thought the
activity barbaric.  When I was about 27, I got a job as
a "travelling salesman" that brought me to homes in many rural areas
in Vermont, Maine, the four Canadian maritime provinces and Quebec
and Ontario.  I visited many homes where the people were hunters.
Virtually without exception, the animals that they killed were ALL
used for consumption and, for most, the meat represented the only
meat they consumed for the year (kept in freezers which they all
had).

I think there is something much more humane and civil about hunting
for the food you eat (and probably more healthy) than consuming the
meat that we as consumers buy and eat at the Supermarket.