> In a message dated 8/19/05 2:42:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Well, we  certainly seem to have no problems working
> closely with other murderous  dictators to further
> our own interests.
>
> Geeez, we sound almost as bad as  MMY

I learned from Robert Merry's _Sands of Empire_ that this
policy of working with thugs when it suits our interests is
called conservative interventionism. The idea is to only
intervene when and where it serves American interests,
and not get hung up on human rights and affairs govered
by other sovereign nations, however unsavory they may be.

A contrasting approach, liberal interventionism, is what
we've attempted to do in Bosnia and Iraq. It's when we
impose American standards for pluralism, capitalism and
democracy on lands that don't practice them at present.
It's the Woodrow Wilson school of making the world safe
for democracy. Liberal interventionism is what the
neoconservatives have adopted, ironically. It hasn't worked
so hot.

The remaining philosophies of foreign policy include
conservative isolationism and liberal isolationism. In each
case, we stay out of foreign affairs altogether. Conservative
isolationists pursue that policy because the world is impure
and we don't want to sully our affairs with the world's dirt.
Liberal isolationists pursue that policy because America is
impure and we don't want to sully the world with our dirt.

Merry describes a fifth foreign policy, empire, and the
problems that go with it, too.

When I read about all these policies lined up in a row like
that, I had to feel a lot of sympathy for the conservative
interventionists. Yes, they treat with reprehensible thugs,
but the alternatives suck worse.

 - patrick gillam