"March 8th is the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. And, as many
of you know, this anniversary is important to me. At the 1995 Beijing
conference, I was so humbled by the positive response to my message that human
rights are women's rights and women's rights are human rights. But 16 years
later, women still bear the brunt of poverty, war, disease, and famine. And
when it comes to the boardroom meetings, government sessions, peace
negotiations, and other assemblies where crucial decisions are made in the
world, women are too often absent.

It is clear that more work needs to be done -- to consolidate our gains and to
keep momentum moving forward.

The United States continues to make women a cornerstone of our foreign policy.
It's not just the right thing to do. It's the smart thing. Women and girls
drive our economies. They build peace and prosperity. Investing in them means
investing in global economic progress, political stability, and greater
prosperity for everyone -- the world over.

So let us mark this day by finding ways to ensure women and girls' access to
education, health care, jobs, and credit, and to protect their right to live
free from violence." Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hillary-clinton/international-womens-day_b_832647.html