I love these group portraits. It's was common for each member of the guild, or
military unit, or civic committee to commission these huge portraits and each
member would pay a fair share. Generally an equal share with all others, and
most artists, like Hals in this painting, took pains to give everyone equal
treatment - no persons are given more emphasis over any others.

Rembrandt's painting, "The Nightwatch", was composed as a painting first, and a
portrait commission second. Rembrandt assembled all the members of the the
particular civic guard and "cast" them into a dramatic moment in a larger
narrative, and consequently, some members were cast into very low-level,
shadowed, and merely supportive figures, while the main individuals were set
aglow with supernal light. Needless to say, not everyone paid the same "fair
share" for the commission.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg

But what I love about "Banquet of Officers" is the wonderful sense of a larger
zigzag composition of the heads and collars, like a "flock" of gulls dipping
and diving above some tasty part of the ocean. And the larger zigzag echoes on
that bigger scale with Hals own handling and application of paint on the level
where the images are lost in the artistry of paint - all very lively and
eccentric.

Good stuff.

***