http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/04/13/moving-towards-a-cash-less-world-with-the-mastercard-certified-lumia/

GLOBAL – Money got truly mobile this week with the announcement of the new
Nokia Lumia 610 NFC, certified with MasterCard PayPass technology that means
you can just choose what you want to buy, tap – and go.
If you live in Europe or North America, you might already be familiar with
PayPass terminals in shops and food stores. Soon you'll be able to tap your
Lumia 610 NFC against the terminal, instead of your credit or bank card.

James Anderson, MasterCard's Group Head and Senior Vice President of Mobile
Product Development, talked us through it:

"We've been working with Nokia since 2005 as founding members of the NFC Forum,
and we are delighted to certify the Nokia Lumia 610 NFC. Over the years we've
worked with Nokia on a number of pilots, and now we're pleased to see this
progress on a commercial scale."

Anderson stressed that people find NFC technology interesting when they can use
it for something essential – like payment: "That's when features like this come
to life."

The phone has a built-in NFC chip and new antenna. The signal from the POS
terminal is sent to a secure element on the phone – usually a SIM chip – which
hosts the PayPass application – and which generates data back to the POS
terminal.