--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "David Fiske"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Attack on India's 'hugging saint'

I was reading these recent posts about Amma, and decided to visit
her web site. When I did, I came across this prominent quote:

"Unless we have a certain degree of mastery over the mind, true
peace is difficult to attain."
-Amma

When I read it, I had the following observation:

There is a direct relationship between identification of the self,
and mastery over the mind.

If we identify with the small self, the localized ego, the mastery
of the mind is unavailable. If we identify with the small self, the
mind is distracted easily, and will wander irrespective of its
owner's intention. A relatively large amount of thoughts
characterize this mind-set, because of the necessity of the small
ego to constantly substantiate its position in time and space. No
peace of mind is achieved.

If we identify with the Universal Self, mastery of the mind is much,
much easier. If we identify with the Universal Self, the mind is
easily satisfied by the instantly available bottomless depth, and
infinite breadth of the mind. This creates two symptoms in the mind:
One, control of the mind is nearly effortless under any
circumstance. Two, there is a noticeable lessening of thoughts, vs.
the state of mind identified with small ego. True peace is achieved.