--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shanti2218411" <shanti2218411@> wrote:
> <snip>
> [Xeno wrote:]
> > > An acquaintance of mine recently emailed this link to me.
> > > Some interesting work on the nature of the quantum wave
> > > function:
> > > http://phys.org/news/2012-04-quantum-function-reality.html
>
> This is one of the clearest articles on quantum mechanics
> for the layperson that I've seen.
>
> > > And the abstract of the original paper:
> > > http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v108/i15/e150402
> > > (If you want to get the original paper online, it costs
> > > US$25. I declined.)
> >
> > I would think that the statement "based only on the
> > assumption that measurement settings can be chosen freely,"
> > maybe problematic i.e exactly what does "freely" mean in
> > that sentence(see abstract).
>
> So would the researchers think, according to the article at
> the first link:
>
> "'Our result is based on the assumption that an experimenter can,
> in principle, "freely" choose which measurements he would like
> to carry out,' Renner said. 'Hence, if one is ready to accept
> this assumption, our answer can be considered final. However, it
> is certainly legitimate to question this "free choice"
> assumption (as well as the way "free choice" is defined). We are
> currently working on a proof that the assumption can be replaced
> by a weaker one (which one might term "partial freedom of
> choice").'"
>
> > I think that part of the problem with trying to resolve
> > questions regarding what is the nature of reality has to do
> > with the likelihood that assumptions must be made in any
> > explanation that are themselves unprovable.
>
> Good point. Wonder how one would go about proving "partial
> freedom of choice"?

I think we first have to understand what they really mean by "freedom of
choice." Terms used in theoretical physics/mathematics generally overload
common English words, but trying to apply the common English definition to the
mathematical term almost always eventually leads to false conclusions about the
implications of a theory.