> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Maharishi pandered to this desire to "know." The quote
> > > of his I find most telling is, "Every question is the
> > > perfect opportunity for the answer we have already
> > > prepared."
> >
> > I used to like that quote, until his contradictions
> > started to wear me down and the only rsponse I'd get
> > to sceptical questions was "just let it wash over you
> > and you'll understand it deep down" or "Don't be analytical"
> > or "Maharishi appears contradictory because his mind is
> > aware at the subtle levels of nature and natural laws change"
> > when the whole point of Laws is that they don't change!
> >
> > "When you're more enlightened you'll understand" classic
> > cult delusions all of them. Had great fun though!
>
> I see all of these types of replies as the *result*
> of believing for years in "pat answers," which is
> not what he had in mind with his original quote.
>
> For the benefit of people here who never met Maharishi,
> and certainly never became TM teachers, this quote was
> told to prospective TM teachers on their training
> courses, as an incentive to learn what can ONLY be
> described as "pat answers." He or some other stand-in
> teacher would state a question that we were likely to
> be asked, either by attendees at one of our TM intro
> lectures or by people who had already learned TM.
> Then we'd be given the "correct answer" to the ques-
> tion, be expected to memorize it, and be tested on
> how well we *had* memorized it. The idea was to have
> these "pat answers" filed away in our brains so that
> they came out automatically, and achieved their
> triple purpose.
>
> The first purpose, of course, was to instill a sense
> of confidence in people who, if they were at all
> honest with themselves, knew that they didn't know
> enough to be true spiritual teachers, and wouldn't
> even at the end of their course. By having them
> memorize a series of "pat answers," Maharishi hoped
> to make them parrots who would repeat *his* "pat
> answers" on cue. As anyone familiar with the
> resulting "TM speak" knows, this was frighteningly
> successful.  :-)

Yep, and better than having some of these young, not true spiritual teachers
out and trying to come up with answers on their own.  Especially if you
consider that a student will probably give learning a meditatin technique only
1 or 2 tries.

> On my TTC, Maharishi went so far as to state openly
> the second of these purposes, especially for questions
> that could be seen as critical or skeptical of what
> we (as teachers) were saying. The purpose was to SHUT
> THE QUESTIONER UP. We were instructed many times in
> the value OF getting them to shut up and stop asking
> the questions that they were curious about, and just
> "come back to silence," and belief in what we were
> trying to sell them. He also taught us -- quite
> explicitly -- techniques for how to change the subject
> and move it back to something less controversial. This
> has become known as the "SIMS shuffle."

I do not recall this, myself.

> The third purpose, in my opinion, was to get people
> *used to* accepting what the teacher said as not
> just pat answers (which they were, of course) but
> as *the definitive answers*. The more we practiced
> them as teachers, the more *we* believed them. The
> more we parroted them, the more our students believed
> them. The whole schtick was an exercise in training
> people in the master-disciple relationship, and in
> getting them to buy into "What the master says is
> true," whether it was or not.

Not sure I want to jump in on this, but........... It is true that the more we
practice answers the more we ourselves believe them.  But, to be fair, there
were other reasons, good reasons, for having "pat" answers. First, we were all
young and not that knowledgable about spiritual things.  So, having "correct"
answers at the ready was helpful to the teacher (if flummoxed) and also helpful
to the student who was really asking what Maharish - the expert - would have
said. And Maharish tol dus waht he would have said, and toldus to say it.
Second,  can you imagine the odd variety of answers that some teachers would
have come up with?  We were a motley crew, if well intentioned. the quality of
teaching would have been so dependent on the individual teaching it, and
students coul dhave been really upset with that.  Third,  Maharishi wanted to
standardize his technique, and he did that successfully.  I think that in mnay
ways it was a smart and safe move for all concerned. TM teachers were not
providing teaching in the same sense that an individual guru would - we all
knew, Maharishi knew it, and it was not possible to provide that given the
numbers of people learning.  You could ask if it would have been better that a
person never learn to meditate unless studying with a true Master, face to
face.  But Maharish's approach was to make this technique available, without
face to face attention from a master.  He tried to offer as much good info thru
his trained teachers - keeping it simple and trying to account for all the
possible types of questions they might ask.  Was it stilted sometimes? Yes. Did
some people need much more?  Absolutely.  But with the massive numbers
learning, it was a pretty good solution,I think. The problem came in that it
did stop people from thinking on their own, and at a certain point parroting
answers can backfire - if you begin to doubt their accuracy, you don't feel
free to think or say otherwise. Still, a person wanting to learn TM can learn
it the same way not matter who teachers him, and that is a safe and good thing
in many ways. Not perfect. Not face to face with a Master, but of value, at
least imo, if you think TM is of value.