In Pakistan, faith healers have no shortage of believers

By Alex Rodriguez, Los Angeles Times

March 29, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

Pakistanis from all walks of life seek out faith healers for
remedies for health, marital and pocketbook woes, and even
to ward off evil.

KHURRIANWALA, Pakistan  Villagers in this small textile town
thought Saeed Mehmood ul Hasan had a pipeline to God. They
believed that his Koranic maxims  sometimes scrawled onto
wadded scraps of paper, stuffed into a leather pouch and
worn around the neck  could cure headaches, mend an ailing
kidney or patch up a family rift.

Allah Wasaya was among those who believed, and last year he
hired Hasan to resolve a family spat over money. He and his
family stopped believing, Wasaya said, when they determined
that Hasan's remedy was a diversion for darker pursuits.
After sending Wasaya's wife to a butcher to buy a black
goat's head that he said was needed to work his magic, Hasan
raped the couple's 15-year-old daughter, who was alone in
her bedroom, Wasaya recently recalled.

Hasan then threatened to curse the family with a dose of
black magic if she told anyone what had happened, Wasaya
said. Hasan, in custody awaiting trial, denies the
allegations.

"Almost everyone in Khurrianwala believed that Hasan could
cure people and solve everyone's problems," said Wasaya, a
driver and father of two. "It's just the way we think here."

The penchant for faith healers and black magicians spans
Pakistani society, from the moneyed landlords of the Punjabi
plains to the slum dwellers of litter-strewn Karachi.
Pakistanis from all walks of life routinely turn to them to
remedy various health problems, from abdominal pain to
epilepsy, avert marriage meltdowns and pocketbook crises and
even fend off the powers of other healers.

When the national cricket team geared up for its 2011 World
Cup match with archrival India, thousands of Pakistani
youths streamed into a stadium in Karachi for a collective
prayer session aimed at shielding their heroes on the pitch
from any black magic conjured by the Indian side.
Regardless, Pakistan lost.

President Asif Ali Zardari regularly had black goats
slaughtered at his official residence to deflect any black
magic directed his way, according to a 2010 article in the
English-language newspaper Dawn. Zardari's spokesman later
said the practice was designed to distribute meat to the
poor.

"The main belief is that this practice invokes the pleasure
of God," the spokesman, Farhatullah Babar, told the British
newspaper the Guardian. "The corollary is that bad things
will not happen, of course, but that's a matter of
interpretation."

Even some academics believe there's room for demons and
spirits.

"At times, it works; I don't know why and how," said Khalid
Zaheer, one of the nation's foremost experts on religious
affairs and the dean of arts and social sciences at the
University of Central Punjab in Lahore, Pakistan's
second-largest city.

He said an acquaintance turned to a faith healer to treat
severe abdominal pain. The healer found two demons in her
abdomen, exorcised them and cured her, Zaheer said.

"There are many cases that can be explained by a placebo
effect. But there are certain instances of cures taking
place in which there simply are no explanations," Zaheer
said. "Doctors and scientists can be biased in not admitting
that, in certain situations, there are things that happen
that cannot be explained."

Pakistani faith healers are known as pirs, a term that
applies to the descendants of Sufi Muslim saints. Under
Sufism, those descendants are thought to serve as conduits
to God. The popularity of pirs as a viable healthcare
alternative stems from the fact that, in much of rural
Pakistan, clinics don't exist or are dismissed as
unreliable. For the urban wealthy, belief in a pir's powers
is either something passed down through the generations, or
a remedy of last resort, a kind of Pakistani laetrile.

"The lower-income classes have a bigger belief in pirs, but
I know rich people who have resorted to pirs after
exhausting all other possibilities," Zaheer said. "They're
prepared to go to anyone who offers a solution."

Most pirs shy away from discussing the fees they charge.
Masood Ahmed, a 30-year-old aluminum window dealer who
sidelines as a pir, said sometimes he charges a few dollars,
sometimes nothing at all. The most he has ever received for
his services, he said, has been about $1,600, an amount
volunteered by the patient's family. In a small, darkened
living room in the industrial city of Faisalabad, Ahmed
explained how he cured the man, a 60-year-old farmer who
claimed to be possessed by demons.

"I told him that his brain, his whole body, was in a state
of dryness," Ahmed said. "I told his family to get him to
stop smoking and stop drinking tea. I told them to give him
liquids, soup and butter. I told them to make him eat the
butter, but to also rub it on his skin. Massage it on."

In six months, the demons were gone, Ahmed claimed.

Ahmed said he treats 50 to 100 clients each week. His
demeanor was tranquil and measured, nothing like that of the
fire-and-brimstone healers of the American South. He spoke
in a hushed monotone. On a recent chilly morning, Ahmed sat
down with a patient, a 50-year-old driver named Allah Ditta,
lightly placed his right hand on Ditta's chest and then blew
a puff of air into his face.

"This person's problem is acid reflux," Ahmed said. As a
remedy, he gave Ditta a verse from the Koran to say daily.
"I told him to recite these words 1,100 times every day. I
believe it will cure him."

Police crackdowns on pirs and black magic practitioners are
rare. Last fall, two men who said they planned to sell bones
from corpses to black magic practitioners were arrested
after they were caught stealing cadavers from a cemetery in
Karachi, Pakistan's largest city.

Hasan, the Khurrianwala pir, was arrested last fall on the
rape charge. Seated in a small office at the Khurrianwala
police station, Hasan, 70, appeared haggard as he explained
how he quit his job as a driver three years ago to work as a
pir.

"It's God's will if I cure someone," he said. "Sometimes it
works, sometimes it doesn't."

He acknowledged knowing the Wasayas, but said they falsely
accused him after he balked at lending them money. "I'm an
asthma patient," he said. "How can I rape her?"

Wasaya said Hasan is lying.

"I knew this pir for 22 years," he said. "I trusted him.
Before this incident, I thought he was a genuine pir. Now,
of course, we know the truth."

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-pakistan-superstiti
on-20120330,0,6359393.story