On 05/17/2012 01:17 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:

>>> My dad had a LP record of Donna Summers in the 1970's.  I
>>> think sometime in 1992 my gramophone player went phut and I
>>> never got around to fix it.
>>>
>>> It's been ages since I listened to her.  Thanks Barry.
>> Back then people thought the "working girl" she was singing
>> about was a different kind. :-D
> While I appreciate both the humor and the irony, I
> feel compelled to interject a note of reality. What,
> after all, is the difference between a woman working
> three jobs (as does the character in this video) to
> support her kids, and a woman working in...uh...
> other circumstances to do the same thing?
>
> During my first visits to Amsterdam, I found myself
> in the strange position of having free (unpaid) access
> to its most famous brothel, Yab Yum. (The owner felt
> he owed me a favor, although from my perspective he
> didn't, and he waived the considerable entrance fee
> for me.) As a result, I often spent my days at the bar
> there, writing a book about Buddhism. Go figure. Some
> get Tantra, and some don't.
>
> As a result, I got to know a number of the women who
> worked there. They became friends, because I never
> asked them to "go upstairs," and because I think they
> thought of me as kind of a pet, the "weird writer
> guy who just sits at the bar and watches." All of the
> women, given the nature of the place (this was the
> kind of joint where the Stones came to party when
> they were in town, joined by princes and kings and
> others of the hoi-poloi) were lovely. Some were there
> with the goal of "retiring at 30," and managed to
> pull that off. Others were there to support their
> kids. The latter had few other assets to rely on in
> the Dutch workplace other than their beauty, and I
> for one do not fault them for their choice.
>
> They were mothers, doing what they needed to do to
> provide for their kids. I have as much respect for
> them as I do for Mother Teresa, and far more than I
> do for "Mother Divine" women who beg their patrons
> for a monthly stipend so that they can meditate for
> a living. Just sayin'...

Wasn't sayin' anything wrong with it but it struck me when I saw the
video that most people back then thought the different kind of working
woman.  AND.... in today's music videos it would have been the other
kind. :-D

The other problem is that when a celebrity like Summers dies then the
MSM wants to use it to knock more important news off the front page.
IOW, the stuff that people should really be caring about but the
corporations would rather you not.  Like I'm thinkin' that Chase
customers should be making a run on the bank because they may wind up
paying for that lost 2 billion dollars in higher fees.  Of course Jamie
Dimon (or is Demon) stood up in front of the stockholders, waved his
hands and hypnotized his followers.  Then the idiots renewed his
contract.  America is such a screwed up place.