from the Amazon summary of his book:

"This title features a new foreword by best-selling author Christopher
Hitchens. Throughout history, arguments for and against the existence of God
have been largely confined to philosophy and theology. In the meantime, science
has sat on the sidelines and quietly watched this game of words march up and
down the field. Despite the fact that science has revolutionized every aspect
of human life and greatly clarified our understanding of the world, somehow the
notion has arisen that it has nothing to say about the possibility of a supreme
being, which much of humanity worships as the source of all reality. Physicist
Victor J. Stenger contends that, if God exists, some evidence for this
existence should be detectable by scientific means, especially considering the
central role that God is alleged to play in the operation of the universe and
the lives of humans.Treating the traditional God concept, as conventionally
presented in the Judeo-Christian and Islamic traditions, like any other
scientific hypothesis, Stenger examines all of the claims made for God's
existence. He considers the latest Intelligent Design arguments as evidence of
God's influence in biology. He looks at human behavior for evidence of
immaterial souls and the possible effects of prayer. He discusses the findings
of physics and astronomy in weighing the suggestions that the universe is the
work of a creator and that humans are God's special creation. After evaluating
all the scientific evidence, Stenger concludes that beyond a reasonable doubt
the universe and life appear exactly as we might expect if there were no God."
[In other words, if there's no "need" for a God, then why bring up a useless
fantasy...unless the fantasy gives one an emotional consolation. I know of many
Mormons who believe that the American Indians are the lost Tribes of Israel.
Apparently, this belief provides them with a certain emotional consolation in
being part of a Holier Than Thou group.  I wouldn't fault the Mormons for
having such a desire to be consoled; just the logic.]