--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@...> wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yifu and FFL readers,
>>>
>>> For your information, Dr. Pagels died in 1988. Any statements
>>> that he made while alive has been superceded by discoveries
>>> made in recent years in quantum physics. If he was alive
>>> today, he would have changed his position.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Pagels
>>
>> I rest my case. Quantum Idiots.
>
> Barry,
>
> You haven't had a case here for a very long time.

First of all, on what basis would Pagels have changed his opinion? It is true
Pagels trashed the TM theory of quantum mechanics. This was based on things
Larry Domash had written. As I recall, Domash used the vacuum state of quantum
mechanics as an analogy to explain TM, much in the way one might use an orange
and a golf ball to create an analogy describing how the Moon and Earth, orbit
around a common centre of gravity. I am not acutally aware of how the quantum
vacuum analogy morphed into TC *is* the quantum vacuum, or how this
subsequently morphed into the Unified Field equivalency that we see today under
Hagelin. Hagelin is still of course talking about this. I do not know what
Domash's view would be today.

I recently re-listened to a debate with woo meister Deepak Chopra,
neuroscientist Sam Harris, skeptic Michael Shermer, and scholar Jean Houston
that took place in 2010. Though Chopra is not in the movement any more, he does
hew to the new age quantum nonsense that many, including the TMO, make their
stock in trade. In this debate, the skeptics raked Chopra over the hot coals
repeatedly for this. What was really interesting about this debate was it was a
Cal Tech, and physicist Leonard Mlodinaw was in the audience stood up and
offered Chopra a short course of quantum mechanics to straighten out his misuse
of quantum notation. Mlodinaw, whose field is mathematical physics, recently
wrote a book with Stephen Hawking (The Grand Design). Mlodinaw said he had
never come across a definition of consciousness that made any sense. It was
clear that for Mlodinaw the correlations between consciouness and quantum
mechanics that Chopra was presenting made no sense whatsoever, that is, it was
nonsense.

The full debate: http://youtu.be/wi2IC6e5DUY
The debate covers much more ground than just this aspect of spiritual
nomenclature and physics.