--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Valued by whom?  Assets, unless they are cash or readily
> tradeable stocks or bonds, are subject to remarkably wide
> ranges of valuation.  Something which an auditor might claim
> to be worth $187 million might, if push came to shove, be worth
> only $5 million.  I've seen Movement valuations in the past that were
> based on what donors said their stock donations in privately held,
> lying-through-their-teeth-financial-statment companies were
> worth.
>
> Ultimately, something is only worth what someone else is
> willing to pay for it.  And I would bet considerable amounts of money
> that the assets in the World Peace Fund weren't worth anything close
> to a "real" $187 million.

That was definitely true in 1999 when the Fund was valued at close to
$600 million and it looks like over $200 million of that was
GlobalLink stock which was probably already worthless by then.

In 2003 there was some cash and stock in the Fund, but it was almost
all real estate.  My guess is all the hotels that the tmo has been
selling lately were in there - have no idea if the market price is
close to what was on the books.

PS.  It seems Hartnett made out OK in his dealings with the mov't.
Got huge tax write-offs for donating essentially worthless stock and
got out of his big mortgage on the headquarters building by selling it
to the tmo for a million dollars when no-one else was interested --
the tmo raising the money from local donations under the ruse it was
for King Tony who come here to live, bringing some sort of divine
vedic rulership with him -- how is it the donors keep forgetting so
easily the grand schemes for which their $$ went?