Who Does Cindy Sheehan Hate?
By Michael Reagan
FrontPageMagazine.com | August 26, 2005

Sigmund Freud had a concept he called "projection, which has been
defined as a defense where the ego deals with unacceptable impulses
and/or terrifying anxieties by attributing them to someone in the
external world.

In many ways I think that explains the behavior of the media's
current patron saint, Cindy Sheehan, whose hate rhetoric aimed at
President Bush is really meant for someone else who she can't admit
even to herself is her real target. To do so would represent one of
those "unacceptable impulses" Dr. Freud was talking about.

In this case it could well be that Cindy Sheehan is projecting her
rage at George Bush when the one she really despises is her late son
Casey, who died as a hero in Iraq, precisely because he did die a
hero in Iraq.

The more I listen to Cindy Sheehan and consider her past actions and
her past words, it occurs to me she has always been a liberal, she's
always been anti-military, and she's always been anti-Republican. It
appears that she raised Casey in such an environment, yet despite
that what does he do? He not only joins the military engaged in a
war she bitterly opposes, but to add insult to injury when his
enlistment runs out, he re-enlists although he knew that by so doing
it meant he would be sent to Iraq where a war his mother despises is
being fought.

Think about that. What Casey did was to reject not by words but by
deeds his mother's most closely-held beliefs.

Then, to make matter worse in her eyes, this son volunteers to go on
a dangerous mission even his superiors warned him against, and dies
as a result. Casey Sheehan's sergeant asked for volunteers. Sheehan
had just returned from Mass. After Sheehan volunteered once, the
sergeant asked Sheehan again if he wanted to go on the mission.
According to many reports (and according to his own mother) Casey
responded, "Where my chief goes, I go."

He went, and it cost him his life. You can almost hear her saying to
his spirit, "How dare you spurn me and turn your back on me? How
dare you go join the military, and then how dare you volunteer to
fight against the innocent Iraqi freedom fighters and get yourself
killed?"

Casey Sheehan's heroic action has embittered Cindy Sheehan. And her
actions have embittered her family who bitterly resent her
exploitation of her son's heroic death in behalf of her political
extremism. Here's what they wrote to Matt Drudge:

"The Sheehan Family lost our beloved Casey in the Iraq War and we
have been silently, respectfully grieving. We do not agree with the
political motivations and publicity tactics of Cindy Sheehan. She
now appears to be promoting her own personal agenda and notoriety at
the expense of her son's good name and reputation. The rest of the
Sheehan Family supports the troops, our country, and our president,
silently, with prayer and respect."

Cindy Sheehan says she wants to ask the president, "Why did you kill
my son?" She knows that George Bush did not kill her son. The
butchers she supports with her far-out liberal activism killed Casey
Sheehan and that activism is now resulting in the deaths of other
young Americans because she is giving aid and comfort to our enemies
and encouraging them to persist in their terrorism, giving them hope
that if her views prevail the U.S. will lose its will and pull out.
And so the fight goes on, and more Casey Sheehans die as a result.

And she says of her son, "He died for oil. He died to make your
friends," Bush's friends, "richer. He died to expand American
imperialism in the Middle East."

How dare he?

Cindy Sheehan doesn't need to talk to the president. A talk with a
therapist would be more appropriate.

Mike Reagan, the eldest son of President Ronald Reagan, is heard on
more than 200 talk radio stations nationally as part of the Radio
America Network.