> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > If the Movement didn't want to mislead people they could have
> > called it a scientific "grant" in the first paragraph instead of
> > qualifying it 1,000 words later (by the way, a 2,500 word text
is
> > about 11 pages single-spaced...whoever heard of a press release -
-
> > at least a successful press release anyway! -- being more than a
> > few paragraphs or, at most, a page in length?  My God, this is a
> > diatribe, NOT a press release!)
>
> Most of the news stories I read cited the fact
> that it was to be used for his research, so
> apparently reporters aren't as lazy as you are.

No, they're not.

Probably because they are not used to the fact that the TMO
publishes pages and pages and pages and pages of useless propaganda
and made-up and unfounded platitudes of TMO operatives that have
received dubious PhD's...and when a reporter is assigned the job of
doing a piece on the TMO -- probably for the first time -- he does
his job properly enough to actually READ a whole 11 page "press
release".

You see, Judy, I am much more jaded.  I will NOT waste my time
reading through 11 pages of platitudes and superlatives to find out
what I should have gotten in the first paragraph.

So, yes, I am lazy. From experience, the TMO has taught me to be...

But kudos to you for having the time in your day to actually READ
ALL of the Movement's publications.  It must be heartwarming to the
scribes that spit out this stuff in Holland to know that a TBer is
taking the time out to actually READ this stuff...

> > Just the fact that the movement had to qualify what is was that
> > Nader actually "received" by saying that the money was to
> > be "deposited in a bank" -- where else was he going to keep
> > it...under his mattress -- suggests some sneaky wording and
> > shenanigans going on.
>
> Uh, no, it doesn't.  This was all quite
> straightforward as far as the transfer of money
> was concerned.  The point wasn't bank vs.
> mattress; it was that the money wasn't for his
> personal use.

Gee, then say it in the first paragraph, don't call it an "award"
and don't say that Nader "received" the money.

> > Sorry, Judy, it was a horrible "publicity stunt" and one that
was
> > not successful at all.
>
> As I said, it was extremely successful, got all
> kinds of coverage at the time.  It did just what
> publicity stunts are supposed to do: enticed
> reporters to attend in order to hear the spiel,
> in the hope that some of them will reproduce some
> of it in their news stories, which they did.  The
> TM folks got to talk about the scientific research
> on TM, including Nader's, and just generally pitch
> TM and its theories as a formula for fixing the
> world.

Yeah, it worked out really, really well.

It really increased the credibility of TM and the TMO in the eyes of
all the mainstream reporters that either attended the press
conference or read about it.  Yeah, they really took seriously a
purported scientist and grown man sitting on a scale having himself
weighed in gold.

For the TMO's next publicity stunt that will surely also increase
their credibility, they're going to have an elephant named Ganesh
take a dump on a plate of spaghetti. The meal will be called the
United States.  Then a monkey called Hanuman is going to eat it.
Hanuman will represent the purifying power of Shtapatya architecture
and will demonstrate overcoming of evil.

> It was certainly no worse than other TM publicity
> stunts,

Agreed!

> like the Yogic Olympics it used to hold
> for the same reason, to get reporters in a room to
> listen to a spiel by putting on a splashy event.

Oh, and we've been taken seriously ever since...NOT!

> The spiel *itself* is weird, but that's another
> story altogether.

'Fraid not.

The publicity stunts have BECOME the message...and any 6th grade
child could have told MMY that from the very first one...