On 07/05/2012 06:07 PM, emptybill wrote:
> Why kundalini shakti experiences mean nothing at all about
> awakening/enlightenment.
>
> http://www.shiningworld.com/top/images/stories/pub-pdfs/Articles/Vedanta\
> _and_Kundalini.pdf

Dynamic kundalini rising experiences such as what Gopi Krishna
experienced and I experienced are not preferable at all.   When I sat
down to try meditation for the first time I was not expecting anything
like that at all.  Neither did Gopi Krishna.

"Gopi Krishna was a middle-class Indian who, while meditating in 1937 at
the age of 34, suddenly perceived a roaring stream of light rising into
his head from his spine. For months afterward he suffered a variety of
painful physical and mental symptoms, including some that seem akin to
psychosis. These symptoms gradually subsided into a condition which he
regarded as higher consciousness."

The kundalini rising is preferably more of a passive result of
practicing meditation and should be a gradual experience.  But for some
people a full rise can be triggered easily.  Does it matter? Well it is
certainly a process of attaining enlightenment but something you don't
need to work on specifically other than using some meditation poses such
as siddhasana which aids the process by keeping the spine straight.
Most yoga asanas are warm-ups to the true yoga which is meditation.
They are made to limber up the body and legs for spending long sessions
in meditation though some asanas can be useful for solving health
problems.  Of course only in the west would you have people who thing of
"yoga" as the stretching exercises. :-D