--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > ...fat lot of good it did the 1.5 million of his people that
died
> > > under his watch and the millions more of his people who
suffered
> > > because of his myopic, anything-but-non-violent philosophy.
> > >
> > > I apologize to the group to keep harping on this fellow but it
irks
> > > me no end that we automatically rever and praise this man
whose
> > > very actions produced the very opposite of the non-violence
that he
> > > is supposed to be so knowledgable about...
> >
> > The man acted in accordance with his beliefs, and
> > in accordance with the stated beliefs of Buddhism.
> > Would you have had him do less?
> >
> > Besides, in all these harrangues you haven't shared
> > with us what he *should* have done.  What exactly
> > was the alternative path he could have taken that
> > would have worked out better for Tibet and its
> > people?
>

> As I understand it, HHDL and Christ (turn the other check)were
saying
> a similar thing: if you want to break the long cycle of violence
and
> retribution, you must break the chain and not react to violence
with
> violence. However this is neither an easy or fast path. It may take
> year, centuries and lifetimes. On the other hand, quick fixes --
> responding to violence in kind, may bring some temporary and
illusory
> resolution and "peace"  but simply perpetuates the cycle in the
longer
> view of time.
>
> But then perhaps I am reading too much into HHDL and Christ. I am
> neither a christian nor a Tibetian Buddhist scholar. Regardless, I
> think the above is true.

And that's why I love the story of the Bhagavad-Gita: non-violence
is something on a totally different level.  It is on the level of
consciousness.

Indeed, it demonstrates that "true" non-violence is, by definition,
completely opposed to the idea of non-violence in the field of
action because once Arjuna is established in the consciousness of
non-violence (i.e. enlightenment) he comes out and commits the worst
ultra-violence we can think of.

In this way the BG is totally unambiguous about the nature of
violence and non-violence and how true ahimsa should be interpreted.

But even without considering actual physical fighting or war, as
Arjuna was engaged in, the field of activity even in what we
call "peace time" or normal everyday life is rife with
violence.  "Violence" defines the relative...the relative is a
constantly changing field and in order for change to occur there
must be continual creation, maintenance and DESTRUCTION.  Shiva is
continually destroying in order for creation to occur.  The bud
disappears through the violence of the inner flower unfolding.  The
blessed cells of my body are continually being violently discarded
for newer,healthier cells to take their place.  Rotting carcasses of
all sorts of life are destroyed through the violent destructive
actions of bacterial without which we would all die in about a week
because we'd be up to our eye balls in shit and disease.

Violence happens everywhere in the relative, all the time.

It is to have the experience of that unchanging NON-VIOLENT state of
consciousness that all the Saints talk about when they speak of
ahimsa.  Indeed, to preach for non-violence in the relative would
mean the elimination of life as we know it.

But without the personal experience of ahimsa they get it all wrong
and misinterpret it to mean some sort of teaching for behaviour in
the relative life and idiots like the Dalai Lama let it lead them
smack into the middle of horrible, unnecessary, and completely
avoidable violence.