Share1

"Personal love is concentrated universal love". Maharishi [with thanks to share
long]
Share1:  And let's not forget the opposite:  Universal love is expanded
personal love (-:

Robin2: That Maharishi guy, he knows how to so effortlessly make his
consciousness the metaphysical measure of all things. When he says this *he is
depriving the TM-conquered consciousness of the individual any chance of
testing what he has said—against reality*—the reality that would be there if
Maharishi has never lived.

We must conclude, Share, that, according to Maharishi there is only kind of
love: either in its concentrated form:—that is personal love. But concentrated
love (personal love) then becomes, when it expands, universal love. Therefore
there is no difference intrinsically between the two forms of love. But the
concentrated love, when it becomes universal love, does it dilute in some way?
I would think that universal love (if it exists) should in some sense be even a
*more* concentrated form of love than personal love.

Let us assume that Bevan Morris loves Maharishi—loved Maharishi—with some
degree of universal love—and Maharishi, he returned (since he created it) that
universal love towards Bevan. Now imagine Bevan deciding to marry someone he
truly loves—he finds 'the one'; a woman. He has a baby boy. When he first looks
at his child, does his love for his boy have anything to do with what he
remembered (and still is aware of) as his love for his Master, Maharishi?

The love we have for significant others, that is so very real and deep and yes,
even biological. If making the unmanifest take up residence inside our
consciousness enables us to embody the love that *is* the unmanifest, then
*that* love surely should be concentrated love on an order to make even a
father's love for his new-born child seem unreal, relative, impermanent even.
But yet, right until death that love between father and son will be preserved.
How may of us initiators who adored and surrendered our very souls to Maharishi
retain our love for him? Hardly any of us. Which must mean that none of us ever
really knew "universal love"—*but we sure thought we did*.

The TM Movement has been going strong ever since John Lennon fell deeply in
love with Maharishi and they all went to stay in in Ashram in India in 1967. I
figure, based upon my experiences in the early and late seventies, there should
be at least one thousand of us initiators/governors living out the truth of:
"personal love is concentrated universal love". "Universal love is expanded
personal love". Is there even one of us, Share? Here you are having a
conversation with a former devout and dedicated initiator, who even claims to
have been inside Unity Consciousness for ten years, and yet we are
controverting the meaning and truth of what Maharishi has said—probably 40
years after he revealed what he wanted us to know was an objective truth about
the cosmos and the human heart.

Robin1: Might be if you're sucking up to them devas. But what kind of personal
love is universal love? It is a Maharishi-ism, bound to seduce, arrest, and
mystically paralyze one in bliss. Because all one does is say to oneself:
Maharishi is saying this, and I feel the power of his personal consciousness
making it seem truer than anything else I've ever heard about impersonal and
personal love—how they get connected.

Share1:  laughing because if you knew me in person, you'd know that I'm the
least likely to be a bliss bunny.  I'm trying to remember who else I've heard
speak about this topic.  I guess eros and agape from some university class.
Catholics speak about brotherly love.  Ayn Rand weighs in on the personal love
side.  I realize I also love this quote from Maharishi because lots of New
Agers I know denigrate personal love.  Especially, if I dare say so, New Age
men.  With this quote, Maharishi saves personal love from the trash heap of
"not spiritual and abstract and free enough."

Robin2: I should say it was so refreshing to get your post, Share; and I should
confess—I think this is obvious:—I was only challenging Maharishi's notion of
personal and universal love; I was not contemplating what I think love is. So I
was being adversarial in relation to Maharishi—perhaps consolidating my
liberation from his incredible hold over my mind and heart all those years.
Yes, I agree: you do not give off that feeling of someone who is a "bliss
bunny" (or "ninny"—is the latter the unisex term? Bunny seems gender specific
somehow—educate me on this, please). The quote for me, for all those years I
loved Maharishi, Share, was as real as quantum physics. But it ain't no more.
Why? Because reality has judged it to be meaningless. At least this is the
effect of these twenty-five years of taking a stand against my Unity
Consciousness. [In case you didn't know: I am back in waking state. :-)—which
of course in the way this reversal of 'evolution' came about entails a very
deliberate opposition to the person and influence of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.]

Sure, just as you say, "Maharishi saves personal love from the trash heap of
'not spiritual and abstract and free enough'". He does indeed; but how do you
go about persuading those New Age men of the greater empirical validity of
Maharishi's idea of the connection between universal and personal love?
Obviously Maharishi is not talking about some intention, some ideal, some
orientation to live by. *He is talking about a certain objective, mechanical,
physiological, metaphysical "style of functioning" of the human nervous
system*. Therefore, Maharishi is not *arguing* that this is true. Maharishi
does not argue. He pronounces ex cathedra—ontologically. So, Maharishi wouldn't
care what those New Age men thought—because (and I truly believe this)
Maharishi lived out the truth of what he said in his own experience, in his own
apprehension of the reality of personal and universal love.

Robin1: The thing is, I don't believe—except in the case of Christ—there was
any such thing as universal love. Sure, we all have felt it, experienced it,
known it—Love-ins, weren't they really all about "Personal love is concentrated
universal love"? or maybe no: Love-ins were just universal love getting
expressed personally. Who knows? I thought under psychedelics that Mao was the
'daily flash' guy who was bringing in the love through the Cultural Revolution.
And I was convinced The Tibetan Book of the Dead was metaphysically a correct
read on reality. I don't think so now. And I think I know what personal love
is, and I would say that personal love in its highest form is the gift given by
the Personal God who is love itself—the simple intelligence of loving goodness.

Share1:  What are the indications of personal love in its highest form?  Did
Christ also love personally, eg Mary and Martha?

Robin2: I certainly believe he (Christ) did express "personal love in its
highest form". And I think the Saints—many of them, that is—imitated Christ in
this. But the highest form of personal love would have been Christ as a human
being (with a human soul) expressing the personality of the Second Person of
the Holy Trinity loving his Mother—their connection especially and most
intensely when she looked up at him on the Cross. That, for me—speaking
subjectively—expressed the fusion of universal and personal love to the
maximum.

What are the indications of personal love in its highest form? Well, I don't
know because I have never experienced what Mary and Christ experienced. But I
can speculate. The complete absence of fear. Unconditioned by personal history.
Allowing for a perfect perception of reality and the immediate unfolding of
providence in every moment. A sense of self-sacrifice that enables the person
to know that the love he or she is experiencing finds no obstacle to its
absolute individuation in that person. A sense of a reality which is stronger
than death. The execution of a kind of pure intelligence (intelligence
conversant with the purpose of each moment). The sense of love as composed
almost entirely of grace—not carnal, not alloyed, not conditioned by human
experience—in the main, at least. Love as purposeful, cutting into reality,
revealing meaning and intelligence in the movement of life. Love that enables
one to assess the truth of a given point of view about what reality and truth
is. Love that perpetually renews itself without attenuation or fluctuation or
variability. Love that allows one to have a sense of the purpose of creation
and the why of one's personal existence: a sense of coming upon one's perfect
destiny. A sense of dwelling in the unknown, so nothing is familiar to one
other than this love. And that love determines the decisions one makes. Love
that destroys nearly all the programming of oneself over the course of one's
lifetime. These are some of the indicators, Share, I would imagine "personal
love in its highest form" exhibiting.

Robin1: What did Maharishi mean to communicate to us by telling us this? I
certainly took it to be as true as the earth goes around the sun (which, come
to think about it is a pretty neat thing). But now, after some reality has
settled in, it seems too mystically alluring and beautiful without making any
real sense except in terms of the feeling one gets in hearing and thinking
about it. Was the love you felt—ever—for your mother and father, for your
brother, for your lover—for anyone you have ever loved—just concentrated
universal love? Why that takes away the love from the person who loves, doesn't
it? I think personal love is personal love. And I doubt very much if there is
such a thing as universal love. Love can only be personal.—Not that there
aren't persons who have experienced, and who express something which seems to
take the form of universal love.

Share1:  I have experienced both personal love and universal love for the same
person.  But not at the same time!

Robin2: Well, this certainly (as Maharishi would say) gets my attention. Seems
real and individualized; that's for sure. I would be very interested in your
first-person description of these two different forms of love—how your
apprehension of this person was altered under each form of love. And what your
experience of the significance and meaning of these two different forms of love
as they applied to that person. Which form of love afforded you a great sense
of the reality of that person—of yourself? And most important of all, Share,
did your experience verify the claims of Maharishi?

Robin1: But I always in the end find such people a little off the ground and
not real. They love feeling and radiating universal love, but in their private
lives that universal love doesn't generate whatever love they have for wife and
child and brother and sister and mother and father. Personal love is
first-person ontological love. Universal love: that's the love comes out of
pure consciousness. I believe pure consciousness to be unreal. A myth. And
therefore without neurophysiological correlates. :-)

Share1:  I wonder if there is brain research indicating a locale for universal
love in the skull?  I much prefer personal love myself but maybe it's just a
part of my brain that needs activating (-:

Robin2: Share, find someone you can confirm is manifesting universal love in
some way you find reliable, credible, compelling. A love, then, that seems more
real in its expression and form than any love you have known. That is the
person I wish to meet. I believe Maharishi took universal love to its very
limits. But it was not enough to allow him to fulfill the criteria of the
highest personal love as I have attempted to adumbrate in answer to your
question about 'indicators".

This neurophysiological research, it can never get to a first person
ontological reality whatsoever. You think science can find the specific
correlates which could determine exactly what your experience is in this moment
of reading this sentence—your experience of being Share Long right now? I am a
Mysterian in this. Like Thomas Nagel; like Colin McGinn (both atheists by the
way). Personal consciousness (what it is like to be Share Long and what it is
like to be Robin Carlsen) can never be subject to some measurable specification
by a purely third person form of knowledge, which science will always be. No
one will ever know how a first-person ontology forms inside the human being.
And this being so, it must follow therefore that it is what is most precious
and significant about what it means to have been created as a human being.
Personal consciousness is metaphysically indestructible—as, I believe, even
Maharishi found out.

Robin1: Still, saying it, it sure creates a happy vibration. But does that
vibration have intelligence inside of it?

Share1:  I like that question, and more:  Does any vibration have intelligence
in it?  I'd say yes.  But not a mind based intelligence.  More a body based
intelligence.

Robin2: Again, an answer which intrigues me. "More a body based intelligence":
that might be one of the most interesting ideas I have come across here on FFL.
I am very interested in your developing this idea—if you feel like doing so. I
feel some kind of truth is there, Share. But I am not sure (for myself) what it
is.

Robin1: For myself, I don't think so. I spent ten years convinced of the
empirical truth of what Maharishi says here: I think it does go along with
so-called 'higher states of consciousness". But can the unmanifest be loving in
its preparation to manifest?

Share1:  Just as the unmanifest knows itself before manifesting, so too does it
love itself before manifesting.  As in, to know me is to love me (-:

Robin2: I am just enjoying reading this; so I say nothing to this. Nothing
argumentative, at least. I have met the unmanifest and I think it a dream. A
form of profound deceitfulness of the human being. But for all that, very
coherent, very powerful, very intelligent, very impressive—and gives to the
human person resources he or she could access no other way than having the
unmanifest annex one's entire personal consciousness. But keep going, Share;
who knows? you might yet make me reconsider going up on that mountain again.
From Ignorance to Enlightenment to Ignorance and then finally to Enlightenment
again. But skydiving without a parachute: the world starts to really shake when
you pay no attention to gravity—*and get the support to do this*!

Robin1: You tell a small child there is a God (Personal kind). He or she can
believe this. You feel your child loving you. Would you ever try to convince
your child that what he or she was feeling towards you was just "concentrated
universal love"?

Share1:  Of course not!  What would be the usefulness of that?

Robin2: No, no, Share: I was making the point that if the concept and reality
of God can be comprehended by a child; then does it not follow that it becomes
possible to explain the truth that the child's love for his mother is somehow
(without him knowing this) merely the concentrated from of universal love? I am
a traditionalist in this; I believe ultimate truths about Creation and the
human soul can be communicated to a child. The Catholic catechism (well before
Vatican II, that is, when the Church was alive and was run—I believe—by Mary)
was accessible to a six year old child—probably even younger than that. The
essential truths for the salvation of the soul, then, could be communicated to
a child. Well, if personal love is concentrated universal love; and universal
love is expanded personal love, why categorically rule out trying to
communicate this truth to a child? Seems like, if it is true, the child could
become more intelligent about himself and the universe—even about the nature of
what this love is that he feels towards his mother,

Robin1: Don't let this spoil your day, share. I am still unstressing a little
after my ten year Unity blow-out—which I loved incidentally. Now I can't find
that universal love anywhere.

Share1:  Actually, it's a relief to engage in an intellectual exchange like
this.  Not at all spoiling.  I miss being a student.

Robin2: Well, this is the most fun I have had all day. You don't close off any
avenues of discussion, exploration by unrecognized a priori notions of truth.
You are obviously going for the Eastern truth, but you seem entirely available
to hear other truth versions—although understandably you have a deep reaction
to the agonies of your disillusionment with Catholicism, which sought to impose
its discipline on you without the grace to make that a beautiful form of
sacrifice and love for you.

Robin1: And it is a relief to me.

Share1:  laughing because I wrote my previous sentence about relief.  Then read
yours!

Robin2:  Unconscious universal love connection?  But the word "relief" of
course as employed by me in this context means something different than what
you mean by using it. When I knew universal love, Share, my love was not under
my own control. I was owned by that universal love—and its unpredictable and
inexorable demands.

Robin1: But you and raunchydog and merunanda: I am prepared to be reconverted
by you guys.

Share1:  I'm happy to leave universal love to the New Age guys.

Robin2: Who are these "New Age guys" you refer to? What are the "indicators" of
being a New Age guy? Are you giving up, then, on the expanded version of
personal love? I hope so, Share! :-) But you got to be careful with the flying
sidhi: if you ever float you will be skydiving without the parachute for sure.
And then the universal love will take total possession of you, and I don't like
your chances of returning to the more concentrated version: the personal love
which I figure is almost your signature trait. Which will undoubtedly mean you
won't post again in answer to Robin.—But don't let that be the deciding factor
in your spiritual destiny. :-)

Robin1: But you have to promise that if I reenter Unity Consciousness the love
will still be there, and I will be able to believe the truth of what Maharishi
has said here as much has I once believed it.

Because, you see, reality won't be supporting that idea that "personal love is
concentrated universal love—I think about the most intoxicating, mesmerizing,
blow-your-mind aphorisms I have ever heard.

Robin1: Do we have any universal lovers at FFL?

Share1:  Yes but they're all lurkers (-:

Robin2: Well, then, they should have fun reading this conversation. Should we
sell tickets to the next show, Share? Be it resolved: Personal Love is
Concentrated Universal Love. I have enjoyed this. Some admixture of personal
and universal love perhaps?