--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:
<snip>
> I was pointing out what I thought was a veiled ad hominem by
> Judy.

It wasn't "veiled," it was right up front.

> This is not necessarily absolutely clear because normal
> language is rather loose logically. What I did, whether it
> was in error or not, had nothing to do with the context of
> the argument she was having with Vaj. Logic is just a set of
> rules, it has no content, any content will do; if the rules
> work, deductions can be made, if not, falsehoods reveal
> themselves. Ad hominem is an informal fallacy; strictly
> speaking it is a kind of non sequitur.

Xeno, there is "ad hominem," and there is the "ad hominem
fallacy." Not all ad hominems are fallacies; it depends on
the context in which they appear. Ad hominem reasoning in
an argument--argumentum ad hominem--is a fallacy. A negative
personal remark not used as reasoning in an argument is not
a fallacy, it's just a negative personal remark.

What I said to Vaj was the latter, not the former.

<snip>
> Precisely. Perhaps this was an impish point on my part, having
> received such points from Judy from time to time, my
> interjection in her argument with Vaj might be construed to be
> a veiled ad hominem directed at her. Judy said responding to
> Vaj, 'You are not in any position to complain about ad
> hominems, poetic or otherwise'. It does not matter what
> position he is in, he still may complain, whether it does
> good or ill. I consider Judy's comment to be an ad hominem,
> and just that, nothing more, nothing about context.

You said it was an ad homimen *fallacy* because you thought
I was attempting to use it to refute his statement, "Poetic
ad hominems are still ad hominems."

Of course that is not what I was doing. There's not a thing
wrong with Vaj's statement, nor does what I said constitute
an attempt at refutation. It was an observation about Vaj's
hypocrisy, because he himself makes frequent use of ad
hominems. It was a negative personal remark, an ad hominem,
but not an argumentum ad hominem.

That "he still may complain" is a non sequitur. Of course
he may, but it's hypocritical of him to do so, which was
my point to start with.

You say "Nothing about context," but of course it *was*
about context. It's just that you got the context wrong.