Although the Netherlands has many things going for it, one of those
things is not -- at least in its cities -- great vistas. We've got
scenery, of course, and much of it is wonderful, with modern buildings
nestled together with buildings from the 16th century, and canals and
boats and all that, but if what you're looking for is a "long distance
view," they are few and far between unless you happen to live by the
seaside.

Long distance views are important to us as human beings. We go to the
Grand Canyon and gaze out at the view and we get high as a kite. Or we
sit by the seaside and similarly get high and happy. I once read a fun
fact about why that is.

It turns out that the human eye is most relaxed when it is focused on
infinity. Meaning not that spiritual kind of infinity, but vistas that
are far away. Focus any closer -- as you have to do when indoors, or
even in cities, and the muscles of your eyes have to tighten, and become
constricted. The brain interprets this tightening of the eye muscles as
tension, and reacts accordingly. But allow the eyes to finally relax by
focusing on a distant view, and the muscles relax, and the brain
interprets that as relaxation, and it starts to generate "happy
endorphins." That's why vistas are perceived by most humans as relaxing
and inspiring.

Anyway, Leiden, like most Dutch cities, is flat. And all of the
buildings are pretty much the same height, so it's not easy to *find* a
vista or a view that allows your eyes to relax.

That's why I laughed when I was sitting on a bench beside a canal today
and looked up at one of the houseboats and saw, on a rooftop just
visible behind it, two Dutch people who had climbed to the roof of their
house and brought lawn chairs with them. It's not as if there is a real
"deck" or patio up there or anything; it's just the top of their roof.
But there they were, happy as clams, literally above it all, relaxing
and taking in the view. Seeing them smile made me smile, so I thought
I'd share a photo of it. In the main photo, you can hardly see them at
all, but in the inset I've zoomed in a little bit to allow you to see
them.

  [http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/7764615740_0e9997fac7.jpg]