Still doesn't answer my question. Although, given the alleged ends, what means
are or are not justified?

My answer: I don't know.

Within acceptable limits:   talking about getting an extremely wealthy
potential donor to donate oodles of money to further the progress towards world
peace.

Well outside acceptable limits: letting someone work themselves to death on
said project.