--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Pall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> I am saddened by the loss of property and the loss of human life.  I
> am saddened by the suffering.  But I am heartened by the levies not
> holding and the pumps failing.

Crews Pass Dead to Reach Storm Survivors
By BRETT MARTEL, Associated Press Writer

...A helicopter view of the devastation over the New Orleans area
revealed people standing on black rooftops baking in the sunshine
while waiting for rescue boats. A row of desperately needed
ambulances were lined up on the interstate, water blocking their
path. Roller coasters jutted out from the water at a Six Flags
amusement park. Hundreds of inmates were seen standing on a highway
because the prison had been flooded.

Sen. Mary Landrieu quietly traced the sign of the cross across her
head and chest as she looked out at St. Bernard Parish, where only
roofs peaked out from the water.

"The whole parish is gone," Landrieu said.

All day long, rescuers in boats and helicopters pulled out
shellshocked and bedraggled flood refugees from rooftops and attics.
The Coast Guard said it has rescued 1,200 people by boat and air,
some placed shivering and wet into helicopter baskets. They were
brought by the truckload into shelters, some in wheelchairs and some
carrying babies, with stories of survival and of those who didn't
make it.

"Oh my God, it was hell," said Kioka Williams, who had to hack
through the ceiling of the beauty shop where she worked as
floodwaters rose in New Orleans' low-lying Ninth Ward. "We were
screaming, hollering, flashing lights. It was complete chaos."

Frank Mills was in a boarding house in the same neighborhood when
water started swirling up toward the ceiling and he fled to the roof.
Two elderly residents never made it out, and a third was washed away
trying to climb onto the roof.

"He was kind of on the edge of the roof, catching his breath," Mills
said. "Next thing I knew, he came floating past me."

Across Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, more than 1 million
residents remained without electricity, some without clean drinking
water. An untold number who heeded evacuation orders were displaced
and 40,000 were in Red Cross shelters, with officials saying it could
be weeks, if not months, before most will be able to return....

More at:
http://tinyurl.com/dmkq9