Philip K. Dick had a brain full of odd but wonderful
ideas. Unfortunately, the cinema has not always been
kind to them. Possibly the best example of taking one
of his stories and running with it is "Blade Runner,"
but the list of truly admirable efforts kinda stops
there.

"Minority Report" was a special effects-laden snore,
"Next" was so horribly miscast that it was near to
impossible to focus on its good points, and "Paycheck"
barely even deserves to be mentioned. The only film
made from a PKD film that I thought was pretty good
was the little-seen 2001 "Impostor," and that was
mainly because Gary Sinise was tremendous in it.

As for the first film based (loosely) on PKD's short
story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," that
was actually kinda enjoyable because Ahnold's
general cluelessness and constant "I'm out of my
depth here" acting fit what his character was going
through. It's a challenging thing discovering that
you're not who you thought you were, and Ahnold
almost pulled that off in the 1990 version of "Total
Recall."

The new 2012 version keeps a little of PKD's original
plot, the image of a woman with three breasts, and
even throws in a clever in-joke reference to the
previous film (if you see it, there is a scene where
Douglas Quaid/Hauser is going through a checkpoint
scanner, and the woman in front of him in line is
the same woman from the 1990 film). The new film
loses the whole Mars thang (and good riddance) and
replaces it with an Earth devastated by chemical
warfare, with only two livable areas -- the UK and
Australia. They are connected by some sort of tunnel
mechanism that serfs from the UK are required to
hop into to commute through the Earth to work in
The Colony. It's called The Fall, presumably because
it sorta falls through the Earth and comes up on
the other side. The fact that the other side of the
Earth from the UK is in the middle of the Pacific
Ocean and not in Australia shouldn't cause you any
disbelief -- this is science fiction, remember, and
you're supposed to "suspend disbelief" while watch-
ing it.

Bzzzzzzzt. That's exactly what is wrong with the
2012 "Total Recall." You have to suspend disbelief
FAR too much, because so little of it makes sense.
Good science fiction is internally consistent, and
even if it makes up new rules for the environment
it imagines, it has to stay true to them, and try
to make them *at least* be slightly plausible.
Simply not happening in the new version.

It's basically a non-stop action film, a kind of
video game on steroids, aimed (one must assume) at
the kind of adolescent audience (it *is* rated
PG-13, after all) who have rotted their brains away
by staring at computer screens and trying to kill
as many video bad guys as possible. You're not
supposed to notice that much of the action is
physically impossible, and that heat and G-forces
would have turned our hero into something looking
a lot like strawberry jam in the first reel.

Colin Farrell is earnest and in some films, given
enough to "chew on" as an actor to demonstrate it.
This is not one of those films. Kate Beckinsale
does a good job of being a bitch, and Jessica Biel
does a good job of what she's good at -- being
beautiful. Bryan Cranston is all but wasted in
the part of Cohaagen. He probably took the role
because he could fly in for a couple of days and
shoot all of his scenes and then go back to
"Breaking Bad," and quite frankly, he might have
been able to deliver a better performance (given
the lines he had to deliver) by staying home
and *literally* phoning in his performance.

Was there anything GOOD about the movie? Absolutely.
If you're into non-stop action, and don't want much
else in a movie, this is your movie. The sets are
stunning, in a "Blade Runner" kind of way, and
create fascinating visions of both the UK and
Australia in this not-so-happy future era.

For many people, this would be enough. For me, not
so much. And I have to believe that Philip K. Dick
himself is turning in his grave right about now,
thinking "Oh NO! Not another one. What is so hard
about taking a minor masterpiece and just trans-
lating it to the screen, without trying to 'improve'
it by dumbing it down?"

I shudder to think what Hollywood is going to do
with the upcoming "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said"
and "Ubik." The latter -- a science fiction novel
based on the Tibetan Book Of The Dead -- deserves
a faithful translation to the screen. I think we all
know that it isn't going to get one.