Well, here's the thing...

I was raised in the Unitarian-Universalist *Church*.

There's no moral or ethical guidelines given to people that they are required
to follow in order to be a member, but one picks up, by osmosis, a certain
attitude about things like "The Golden Rule."

If all else fails, one would hopefully learn some moral behavior from friends
and family, and in fact, Father Mejia's orphanages and halfway houses are a
perfect example of how TM can be added to a specific existing program that
provides formal training for people to behave better.

Likewise, one gets a very strong sense of moral values as part of military
training, especially in officer's candidate school, and the addition of TM
there will, by theory, produce some enlightened people as well.

So it is not necessary to have a well-defined religion to provide the needed
moral structure on the road to enlightenment. Other institutions, whether
familial or rehabilitative or military, can provide the same thing.