--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> > > The tour guide mentioned that, statistically, overspill would
> > > happen only once every 100 years!
> > >
> > > Yet the company spent hundreds of millions of dollars to plan
> > > for something that the builders would, statistically, not even
> > > see in their own lifetime, not ever see the practical benefit
> > > of.
> > >
> > > This type of planning happened with private enterprise (note
> > > that Bechtel built the dam, please!) Perhaps there is a
> > > disconnect between this type of planning in private enterprise
> > > and public policy enterprises...

Key word: "Statistically."  That something happens
*statistically* only once in 100 years does not mean
that once-per-100-years isn't going to occur tomorrow.

And if it did, Bechtel would be responsible.

> > You don't read much on this group. The $250 million that was to
> > be spent last year on strengthening New Orlean's levees was spent
> > on the war in Iraq instead.
>
> Yes, I read that (I believe it was Judy who posted the article).
> Indeed, it only strengthens the argument that I am making...perhaps
> private enterprise would have had their priorities right.

Only to the extent that private enterprise perceived
doing the right thing to be to its own benefit.

Which is what motivates amoral politicians and public
officials like those in the Bush administration as well,
of course.  There isn't that much of a choice in that
regard.  It doesn't appear to have been private
enterprise that was urging the administration to increase
funding for New Orleans flood prevention.

After all, there were *huge* profits to be made on the
Iraq war.