I have been waiting for this film for months. I saw early reviews of it
when it first came out, but have had to wait until it was released to
DVD/Bluray and thus become available on the Piratenet to see it. I had
an immediate "hit" on it when I first read about it, and that intuition
seems to have been -- at least for me and my family, who all watched it
together tonight -- to have been well-founded.

It's that rarest of the rare these days, a family drama/comedy that is
willing to leave the drama at the front door and focus on the comedy and
the family. The basic plot concerns an uptight New York City lawyer
(Catherine Keener) who is informed by her even more uptight New York
City husband (Kyle MacLachlan) that he wants a divorce. She packs up the
BMW 4WD with some belongings and her two kids (played by Nat Wolff and
Elizabeth Olsen) and goes off to Woodstock, NY to hide out for a while
with the mother she hasn't spoken to in 20 years. Uptight lawyer lady
dumped her all those years ago because she was such a hippie, and still
is. She arrives on Mom's doorstep and immediately demands that she keep
her pot-smoking, free love ways in her pants during the visit, so as not
to adversely affect the youngun's. This is not to be.

Why I got such a hit on this film, besides the fact that it is directed
by the estimable Bruce Beresford, is his choice of who to play Hippie
Mom. None other than Jane Fonda, in her first starring role in a film in
decades.

She has never been more brilliant -- as an actress, as a woman, and as a
larger-than-life persona. Yes, it's a light romantic comedy, but Jane
just ROCKS. Not to mention the fact that she looks better at 74 than
most women look at 44.

Part of the magic of this may be that Jane Fonda, as she has admitted in
the press run-ups to the release of this film, never *was* a hippie.
Although that may have been her image, especially among uptight
Republicans, she was always far too intellectual and far too uptight to
ever live like her character in this film. So this movie gives her an
opportunity to send up the popular but untrue image of herself.

Another part is that in this film Jane Fonda is *generous* in the way
that 74-year-old actresses can afford to be. She allows Catherine
Keener, whose film this really is, to take it and run with it. She
equally allows Elizabeth Olsen (sister to the "Olsen twins," but a much
better actress) to do the same. The smaller supporting characters are
all wonderful, as is the "character" played by Woodstock itself.

A delight. If you need a break from the trials of the world, this film
might provide you with one.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3109659417/
<http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3109659417/>