Some months ago, when the term "drama queen" was first raised -- and
reacted to -- on this forum, I searched the Net and found and posted an
interesting article on drama queenery from (I think) Scientific
American.

A similar search today, on a related subject, turns up no papers or
studies, but I think it's an accurate psychological phrase anyway:
"confrontation addiction."

It's what seems to happen to some people when -- for whatever reasons --
they become accustomed to interacting with other human beings by getting
in their faces and arguing with them. I am of the opinion, given the
anecdotal evidence provided by the Internet, that this is an addiction
that should be ranked up there with heroin and crack cocaine use.

And one as hard to "kick."

I mean, haven't you encountered people like this, who seem to have
fallen into a rut of provoking arguments, *just so they can have an
argument*? The subject doesn't seem to matter, the victims they run this
routine on don't seem to matter -- all that really *does* seem to matter
is that they can get into someone's face and provoke them into arguing
with them.

WTF? What is the *payoff* from this? In many of these people, the payoff
seems to be ego-based, believing that they "won" each of these arguments
they provoke. They'll believe that they kicked the other person's butt,
no matter what bystanders may tell them, or even what
subsequently-revealed facts may prove.

Others seem to do it more for the in-the-moment pleasure of arguing.
They seem to get off on having provoked the argument, no matter who
"wins" it. It's as if what they get off *on* is having forced another
human being to interact with them PERIOD, even if the only way they
could figure out how to do it was to provoke an argument.

Me, I don't really get off on arguing. My idea of "conversation" is one
person stating what he or she believes, followed by other people stating
what they believe, followed by the next subject. I tend to be able to
say pretty much all I have to say about any given subject in one or two
exchanges, and don't understand why others feel that they need 20 or 30.
And I don't have any vested interest in proving any of my opinions
"right" or "better." They are what they are -- opinions. As with
assholes, everybody's got one, and none of them are any cleaner or less
smelly than any other.

Besides, I get off on the FLOW of conversations, two or more people
segueing from one topic to another seamlessly and effortlessly. It's
like jazz -- taking someone's idea and "riffing on it by" taking it in
another direction. And then having them "riff back" by taking your new
direction and sending it off into yet another. That's cool.

But taking a topic and holding on to it like a bulldog, trying to get
other people to hold on to it the same way and not release it until
they've squeezed every possible gram of interest out of it? Not my idea
of a good time, much less anything I'm likely to become addicted to.