--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

<If you'd asked me when I was a TB I'd have dutifully given all the
"correct" responses about how it affected me and everyone I'd
known who'd done it long term, I'm just a bit more honest now, a
bit more ready to compare the promise with the result, and not so likely to keep
the faith. I like it and see it's done something
but is it all it's cracked up to be? Of course not. Was it worth
the effort? We'll never know as I have no "control me" to compare
myself to.>

I loved that.  It focuses questions I have about my own practice of TM.  Since
Maharishi's death I have gone back and forth with practicing TM after not
practicing for 18 years.  I try it for a year or 6 months at a time and really
enjoy it.  But then something creeps up over time that makes me think that I am
just addicted to it and that it is not doing anything for me cumulatively and
isn't worth the time.

I was reading an interesting book called "What makes your brain happy and why
you should do the opposite".  He makes a case for ways that our brain seeks
states that don't necessarily serve us. And our cognitive gaps are often the
result.  We reverse engineer "reasons" that we do things that ultimately
represented the brains dislike for change, even if it is growth.

So for me the jury is still out.  I have little doubt that some people can
benefit from whatever it is that meditation does.  I know for me, short term,
it can make me feel better.  I really like it right before performing to clear
my head if I've had a long drive and feel scrambled.  But what it does to us
long term and neurologically is a mystery. And I am not inclined to believe
that ancient cultures had it all figured out a long time ago.

Sometimes when I am in my TM phase I feel the way I used to, that I could sit
in that state for hours.  It has a charm.  But I can't help thinking that my
ol' brain is just catching a nice stasis buzz and the attraction has more to do
with my brain's lack of interest in having to do some heavy lifting of
challenge to become the most "me" I can be.  "Do nothing and accomplish
everything" sounds a little like "Turn on, tune in, drop out" to me now.