I love the following theory- Obama played a dead opossum in the first debate.

  Obama is no dummy.  Just days before the Oct. 3rd debate, the grim prospects
for Romney caused big Republican financiers to plan to give up on Romney to
instead divert money meant for Romney toward Republican Congressional races.
Obama wants fewer Congressional Republicans rather than more following this
election, to prevent increased opposition to his plans for the second term.
  Romney's big first debate "win" re-inspired his financial backers to
re-commit their financial resources to Romney; and the Republican Congressional
races won't receive new funding, increasing the chances of Democratic
Congressional candidates, and improving Obama's chances of success during his
second term.
- Mainstream