On 9/2/05 11:09 AM, "markmeredith2002" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It was well known that over 100,000 would be unable to leave NO with
> one day notice, it was in the disaster management plan.  27% of the
> pop does not own cars, a popular tourist destination with tens of
> thousands tourists stuck, the old and sick unable to travel, plus many
> stubborn with no good reason.  Understood that these people, both
> those who decided to stay and the majority who had no option but to
> stay, will be up the creek during and immediately after a hurricane,
> but not 5 days after

Like I said before, the disaster plan was written assuming you WOUILD have a
car. And of course even if you didn't, you certainly would no someone who
did. It would take a lot of courage to leave for some unknown destination.

A friend still in NOLA is poor, but had numerous options for leaving (bus,
friend's cars, etc.) still decided to stay simply because he didn't want to
go to a shelter.