--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, oxcart49 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jedi_spock@> wrote:
> >
> > This shit is as bad as Robin's shit. Dude post it in some
> > other forum and not here.
>
> Chandler, in three words, 'pulp fiction writer'.
> Robin in one, 'enigma'.

With all due respect, for Robin it takes two words:
"bad writer."  :-)

For Chandler, it takes a few more (from Wikipedia).

Some of Chandler's novels are considered to be important
literary works, and three are often considered to be
masterpieces: Farewell, My Lovely (1940), The Little
Sister (1949), and The Long Goodbye (1953). The Long
Goodbye is praised within an anthology of American
crime stories as "arguably the first book since Hammett's
The Glass Key, published more than twenty years earlier,
to qualify as a serious and significant mainstream novel
that just happened to possess elements of mystery"

Critics and writers from W. H. Auden to Evelyn Waugh to
Ian Fleming greatly admired Chandler's prose.[6] In a
radio discussion with Chandler, Fleming said that
Chandler offered "some of the finest dialogue written
in any prose today."

"Chandler wrote like a slumming angel and invested the
sun-blinded streets of Los Angeles with a romantic
presence." – Ross Macdonald

"Raymond Chandler invented a new way of talking about
America, and America has never looked the same to us since."
– Paul Auster

"The prose rises to heights of unselfconscious eloquence,
and we realize with a jolt of excitement that we are in
the presence of not a mere action-tale teller, but a
stylist, a writer with a vision … The reader is captivated
by Chandler's seductive prose."
– Joyce Carol Oates, New York Review of Books

"Chandler is one of my favorite writers. His books bear
rereading every few years. The novels are a perfect
snapshot of an American past, and yet the ruined
romanticism of the voice is as fresh as if they were
written yesterday."
– Jonathan Lethem

"Chandler seems to have invented our post-war dream
lives—the tough but tender hero, the dangerous blonde,
the rain-washed sidewalks, and the roar of the traffic
(and the ocean) in the distance … Chandler is the
classic lonely romantic outsider for our times, and
American literature, as well as English, would be the
poorer for his absence."
– Pico Iyer