> Salyavin, I very much enjoy that last paragraph of yours.  Are you saying
> that the idea of self knowledge, which is supposedly the sine qua non of
> being human, is erroneous?  And if it is, could it be that such is just
> another stepping stone to who knows what?

I guess it depends what you mean by self knowledge, our sense
that we are a solid, non-changing person is wrong in just about
every way - our memories fool us by changing to suit how we feel
now, our reactions to things change without us being aware of it,
it's hard to say what the "us" actually is. And our perception of
the world is unreliable, it *looks* real to us and we'll all
probably swear that what we see is what is happening but it's all
filtered subconsciously according to what we value, people and
situations are interpreted differently every day but we think we
stay constant throughout our lives.

A fair summary of it all can be found in here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ego-Trick-Julian-Baggini/dp/1847082734

I like Baggini, he makes a lot of sense (to me anyway) this
is based on solid psychological research, there are all sorts
of experiments you can do to show that what we think we are
and how we see the world are often two completely different
things.

I think our brains, like everything else, is a cobbled
together bodge that works as well as it can under the
circumstances, but it evolved and therefore carries with it
all the previous uses that it was put, our internal abstract
metaphor generating machine (or the endless self concious
rabbiting we do) arrived quite late and is the only thing that seperates us
from the rest of the beasts. The opinions this
mechanism has of itself are amazing, we've invented so many
ideas about how our minds are at one with creation or god's
will at some fundamental level or part of some destination that
the universe has for itself as some sort of ultimate expression
of matter.

Like most I find these ideas appealing? Why that might be is what
interests me and it's all joined up with how consciousness
works to create an idea that because something seems profound
doesn't mean it's more or less important than a more run-of-
the-mill everyday experience. I'm thinking LSD or TM here
because perhaps the impressiveness of the experience is down
to its freshness, the early TM experiences are best because they
are new and wake up a jaded system with their dynamism, but
what are they? Spasms of neurotransmitters? Or maybe they are
all the brain can manage when it's in certain states and our
love of novelty ascribes more to them than they deserve.

One thing is for sure and that is that evolution can go both
ways, obviously we can become a society like that in the movie
"Idiocracy" or perhaps there is a next step but like every one
taken so far it's impossible to see what the next one could be
or what would actually constitute an improvement. What would
we have to lose or gain to be more psychologically evolved?

To be like some sort of serene Star Trek superbeings we'd have
to lose a lot of our animal instincts and as they underpin how
the bits of our minds we like operate, we aren't going to be
getting rid of them anytime soon, not without major surgery.
Will meditation result in some sort measurably higher being?
It hasn't with me yet.....

Another book I always recommend is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Origin-Consciousness-Breakdown-Bicameral-Mind/dp/0618057072

I have no idea if it is true but it's got to be the most
original theory on human self - awareness yet. It's not just
wild fancy either, Jaynes has a lot of evidence to back it up
from ancient literature and neuroscience, what isn't clear
is whether it really supports the theory or is coincidental.
But it's iconoclastic and changes they way you think about
everything so it's worth a read just for the fun of doubting
everything anyone ever told you.