 From: Robin Carlsen <maskedze...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:07 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Wallace Stevens writes to his daughter, a nun, & a poet

To His Daughter

Hartford, Conn.
Oct. 7, 1941

Dear Holly:

I cannot well dictate this.

Yr. mother has written to you and I do not now what she has said. For my own
part, I think you already have the independence you desire. No parents could be
less authoritarian than we have been. You have always been free. [. . .]

That your parents--and one's parents--have their imperfections is nothing to
brood on. They also have their perfections. Yr mother has them to an exquisite
degree, tough as she is. The blow-ups that we have are nothing more than
blow-ups of the nerves--when they are over they are over. And I think and hope
that you will look back some day and be happy about the whole thing. My own
stubbornness and taciturn eras are straight out of Holland and I cannot change
them any more than I can take off my skin. But i never hesitate to seek to undo
any damage I am have done.

We both love you and desire only to help you and part of yr education is to get
on with us and part of ours is to get on with you.

Love,
Dad

To Sister M. Bernetta Quinn

Hartford, Conn.
Dec. 21, 1951

Dear Sister Bernetta:

It gives me sincere pleasure to have your card. It is a flash apart from the
endless common-place. Mr. [C. Roland] Wagner indulges in over-simplifications.
I am not an atheist although I do not believe to-day in the same God in whom I
believed when I was a boy. But to talk to you about God is like explaining
French to a Frenchman. [. . .]

We are covered with snow and ice here. But we have been having the most saintly
moonlight nights with a bright day every now and then. In the midst of this
Xmas comes roaring on. It makes me envy your enclave at Winona: envy the
loneliness of a school at Xmas, in which at least one can collect one's self
and no doubt, in your case, collect a great deal more. [. . .]

Sincerely yours,
Wallace Stevens

To William Carlos Williams

Hartford, Conn.
January 22, 1942.

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your postcard. I am just getting under way. Twenty or thirty years
from now I expect to be really well oiled. Don't worry about my gray hair.
Whenever I ring for a stenographer she comes in with a pistol strapped around
her belt.

Best regards young feller and best wishes.

Wallace Stevens