MIND AND COSMOS: WHY THE MATERIALIST NEO-DARWINIAN CONCEPTION OF NATURE IS
ALMOST CERTAINLY FALSE by Thomas Nagel

The problem does not arise with respect to the basic forms of perceptual,
emotional, and appetitive consciousness that we share with any animals. Those
mental functions do  put us into a complex relation with the world around us,
but they seem in principle susceptible of an evolutionary explanation provided
it is somehow transformed from the materialist version into something capable
of explaining the conscious character of these functions. . . if such
experiences can somehow be added to the evolutionary menu, their roles in
enabling creatures to navigate in the world, avoid dangers, find nourishment
and shelter, and reproduce all make them potentially adaptive and therefore
candidates for natural selection. Perception and desire have to meet certain
standards of accuracy to enable creatures to survive in the world: they have to
enable us to respond similarly to things that are similar and differently to
things that are different, to avoid what is harmful, and to pursue what is
beneficial. For most creatures, however, objectivity extends no further than
this. Their lives are lived in the world of appearances, and the idea of a more
objective reality has no meaning.

But once we come to recognize the distinction between appearances and reality,
and the existence of objective factual or practical truth that goes beyond what
perception, appetite, and emotion tell us, the ability of creatures like us to
arrive at such truth, or even to think about it, requires explanation. An
important aspect of this explanation will be that we have acquired language and
the possibility of interpersonal communication, justification, and criticism
that language makes possible. But the explanation of our ability to acquire and
use language in these ways presents problems of the same order, for language is
one of the most important normatively governed faculties. To acquire a language
is in part to acquire a system of concepts that enables us to understand
reality. . .

[What is] the likelihood that the process of natural selection should have
generated creatures with the capacity to discover by reason the truth about a
reality that extends vastly beyond the initial appearances--as we take
ourselves to have done and to continue to do collectively in science, logic,
and ethics. Is it credible that selection for fitness in the prehistoric past
should have fixed capacities that are effective in theoretical pursuits that
were unimaginable at the time? The second problem is the difficulty of
understanding naturalistically the faculty of reason that is the essence of
these activities. . .

What we want to know how likely it is, for example, that evolution should have
given some human beings the capacity to discover, and other human beings the
capacity to understand, the laws of physics and chemistry. If there is no real,
judgment-independent physical world, no judgment-independent truths of
mathematics, and no judgment-independent truths of ethics and practical reason,
then there is no problem explaining how we are able to learn about them. On an
antirealist view, scientific or moral truths depend on our systematic cognitive
or conative responses rather than being something independent to which our
response may or may not conform. The "worlds" in question are all just human
constructions. In that case an explanation of how those responses--including
our scientific theories--were formed will not have to explain their objective
correctness in order to be acceptable (although it will have to explain their
internal coherence).

Antirealism of this kind is a more serious option for the moral than for the
scientific case. One can intelligibly hold that moral realism is implausible
because evolutionary theory is the best current explanation of our faculties,
and an evolutionary account cannot be given of how we would be able to discover
judgment-independent moral truth, if there were such a thing. But it would be
awkward to abandon scientific realism for analogous reasons, because one would
then have to become an antirealist about evolutionary theory as well. That
would mean that evolutionary theory is inconsistent with scientific realism and
cannot be understood realistically, which seems an excessively strong result.
There would be something strange to the point of incoherence about taking
scientific naturalism as the ground for antirealism about natural science. .

. . . The goal (of a naturalized epistemology) would be to explain how innate
mental capacities that were selected for their immediate adaptive value are
also capable of generating, through extended cultural evolutionary history,
true theories about a law-governed natural order that there was no adaptive
need to understand earlier. The evolutionary explanation would have to be
indirect, since scientific knowledge had no role in the selection of the
capacities that generated it.