> [...]
> a spiritual context. Every technique and every piece of knowledge
> they've ever been given was given to them in words.
>
> There are alternatives to this, alternatives that many here will
> understand because they may have experienced them. One simple, non-Woo
> way that one can learn from a spiritual teacher more effectively than in
> words spoken by that teacher is by simply *watching* (and, on a more
> intuitive level, *feeling*) how the teacher deals with common
> situations. I know that I learned far more from Maharishi, from Rama -
> Fred Lenz, and from other teachers I've had the opportunity to be with
> for extended periods of time by simply observing them than I ever did
> from anything they said. One of the most valuable lessons *to be
> learned* from such observation -- and the basis of my former
> WikiSpirituality rap -- is the opportunity to observe when the teacher's
> walk doesn't match his or her talk. THAT is a real eye-opener,
> spiritually. The teachers says A, and tells others to do A, but the
> teacher *actually* does the exact opposite of this, Z.
>
> A more Woo Woo description of an alternative to learning via words is
> found in teachings that DON'T CONTAIN ANY WORDS. I can recall dozens of
> techniques and bits of knowledge that have been imparted to me by
> various teachers across the years. For example, many of the techniques
> of advanced meditation I've learned are *not* taught using words at all,
> but by merely sitting with the teacher as he or she *demonstrates* the
> technique or state of attention being taught. You pick it up via
> transmission, or via some kind of psychic link...I don't pretend to
> understand the mechanism, just the result. I've sat in rooms with a
> dozen or more other seekers and had the teacher thus "demonstrate" some
> aspect of esoteric experience without saying a single word, or issuing a
> single verbal instruction. Yet at the end of the evening, when I
> "compared notes" with the others, we all learned essentially the same
> things. We agreed on the nature of the technique we had been taught, we
> agreed on the intellectual basis for it, and we agreed on what it might
> "mean" to us, and to our ongoing evolution.
>
> Again, I have no explanation for how this might work, only that it seems
> to. If I were to attempt to "rate" or "rank" what I consider to be the
> most valuable spiritual teachings I have ever received from a teacher
> I've met and interacted with, the "Top Ten" would ALL fall into the
> "wordless instruction" category. NOT A SINGLE ONE would be based on
> anything expressed by these teachers in words, or in writing.
>
> This is probably why -- at this point in my life -- I do not seek
> "wisdom" or "spiritual teaching" *in* words, whether spoken by some
> teacher in person, or written by some teacher in some book. Based on my
> own experience, there is less likelihood that anything taught in such a
> manner will prove valuable in the long run, so why bother?

Dear Turqb,  We don't got one of those Starbucks in Fairfield but we do got a
Paradiso Cafe.  You; really should come sit with me, and have coffee at
Paradiso Cafe in Fairfield and chat.  You and me.  Anytime.

Hey, I also been studying a lot how to be a cult leader too.  This Sunday past
I went to Mennonite Church and i was really impressed with the theatrical art
of the pastor there.  You know, the performance art of the guy.  God was he
good.  The script content, his voice control, timing, body language, the whole
expression.  It was incredible and the congregation obviously liking what they
had in him leading them through the service responded.  The guy was really
good.

I did transcribe as he was delivering the service.  Just for practice I
transliterated it for our purposes here. Link below.  In words I know
intuitively you'd feel what I have written and am saying. Now, take a look and
I think you could even hear it said in just my written word.  But really, I
think you should come sit with me.  I'd be glad to help you with your
experience, you know, like a lesson over coffee sometime.  Black coffee
Americano at Paradiso.  It's up to you.
  -Buck