---  turquoiseb <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Another tip from George Monbiot:
>
> "Tell people something they know already and they will
> thank you for it. Tell people something new and they
> will hate you for it."

"An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by
gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it
rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is
that it's opponents gradually die out, and that the growing
generation is familiarised with the ideas from the
beginning.'"

~ Max Planck

SCIENCE is said to be about searching for truth, but the
harsh reality is that those whose views clash with
established theories often find themselves ridiculed and
denied funds and publication.

In the 17th century, the Roman Catholic Church condemned
another telescope buff, the Italian polymath Galileo, for
his scientifically correct but religiously incorrect claim
that the Earth moves around the Sun. These days, it is no
longer religious dogma that prevents new ideas from
replacing old misconceptions. The resistance comes from
within the scientific community itself.

"The 'purity' of science is being closely guarded by a
self-imposed inquisition called the peer review," writes the
independent-minded British scientist James Lovelock in his
book Small Science. Protesters are not imprisoned, but this
inquisition can wreck their careers by censoring
publications and refusing funds for research. By comparison,
he says, the inquisition was a more honest way of dealing
with dissenters.

Dissidents are effectively silenced by fellow scientists in
many ways. Although outsiders can resort to alternative
channels to get attention, the fact that they do not
communicate their ideas in "serious" journals or prestigious
meetings undermines their credibility. Paul Marmet was a
respected Canadian physicist until he began questioning the
orthodox explanation of quantum mechanics. He bitterly
complains in his book Absurdities in Physics "Some centuries
ago they burned (Giordano) Bruno and imprisoned Galileo. In
our century, a dissident of the Copenhagen interpretation is
rejected and called a crank".

If even Nobel prizewinners are ridiculed for challenging
mainstream ideas, how on earth would the young Albert
Einstein, who was merely a clerk in a patent office, have
been taken seriously today?

newscientist.com/article/mg15020246.000-forum--they-burn-her
etics-dont-they.html