> In a message dated 9/5/05 10:27:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> The  effort is being directed by Mr. Bush's chief political
adviser,
> Karl Rove,  and his communications director, Dan Bartlett. It began
> late last week  after Congressional Republicans called White House
> officials to register  alarm about what they saw as a feeble
response
> by Mr. Bush to the  hurricane, according to Republican
Congressional
> aides....
>
> One  Republican with knowledge of the effort said that Mr. Rove had
> told  administration officials not to respond to Democratic attacks
on
> Mr.  Bush's handling of the hurricane in the belief that the
president
> was in a  weak moment and that the administration should not appear
> be seen now  as being blatantly political. As with others in the
> party, this Republican  would discuss the deliberations only on
> condition of anonymity because of  keen White House sensitivity
about
> how the administration and its strategy  would be perceived.
>
> In a reflection of what has long been a hallmark of  Mr. Rove's
tough
> political style, the administration is also working to  shift the
> blame away from the White House and toward officials of New
Orleans
> and Louisiana who, as it happens, are Democrats....
>
> These  officials said that Mr. Bush and his political aides rapidly
> changed  course in what they acknowledged was a belated realization
of
> the  situation's political ramifications. As is common when this
White
> House  confronts a serious problem, management was quickly taken
over
> by Mr. Rove  and a group of associates including Mr.  Bartlett....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7dfh6
>
> The writers of this article have a white House memo I suppose  or
> is this all a hunch?

Did you read the article?  Because I have no idea
where you came up with the notion of either a "memo"
or a "hunch."  The article is explicit about where
it got the information (albeit anonymously).

> I haven't heard any names, just an official in the White  House.

If you'd read the article, you'd have seen that it
says the Times talked to several White House officials
and some Republicans (presumably not White House
officials).

As to names, if you'd read the article you'd have
seen this sentence:

"As with others in the party, this Republican would discuss the
deliberations only on condition of anonymity because of keen White
House sensitivity about how the administration and its strategy would
be perceived."

> What exactly defines an official?

I would imagine it's someone with a government title.

Of course, if you want to remain firmly sunk in denial,
you can fantasize that the Times made up the whole
thing.