--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'm always intrigued at how you have an interest in cosmology but
> > > don't apply the principles to astrology, horoscopes put the Earth
> > > at the centre of the solar system and divide up the rest into houses
> > > that aren't real and have the planets moving about in them as if their
> > > going backwards (which they only appear to do due to differences in
> > > orbital speed) means we'll get a different effect than normal when
> > > they are in that particular part of the sky, even though that was totally
> > > arbitrary anyway. I doesn't begin to make sense, or maybe
> > > it's because my Mars is in Leo that I get annoyed about it....
> >
> > Caveat: What I'm about to say is not an argument for the
> > validity of astrology; it just addresses one of the most
> > common misunderstandings by skeptics of what astrology *is*.
> >
> > If you think of astrology as an attempt to represent the
> > universe, or even just the solar system, it's going to seem
> > particularly ludicrous.
> >
> > But that's the wrong standard. What it represents is much
> > simpler: what the inverted bowl of the sky looks like to
> > the naked eye of someone standing on the surface of the
> > earth. The zodiac constellations and "houses" are just
> > ways to divide up that bowl into segments so one person
> > can convey to another exactly which portion of the sky
> > they're talking about.
>
> I know, that's what I said.

Um, well, no, not quite.

> > This is an oversimplification, but it's close enough in
> > this context. To complain that astrology puts the earth
> > in the center of the solar system is absurd.
>
> But that is exactly what it does do, still.

Yes, dear. But that isn't a bug, you see, it's a feature.

> The earth
> > *is* at the center of what astrology concerns itself with:
> > again, what the sky *looks like from earth*.
>
> What's absurd is to  pretend that an outdated way of looking at
> the world is still somehow relevant, because any effect they
> claimed was due to the way they saw the world operating is
> redundant knowing what we do now.

That may be, but I wasn't addressing its relevance or
validity (see my "Caveat" above). I'm just pointing out
that the specific objections you made in the post I was
responding to were irrelevant. Your Mars in Leo is getting
annoyed about the wrong things.