--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is pretty clear that my biogaphy 'The Maharishi' was not welcomed
> with open arms by the movement that attempts to control the public
> perception of the Maharishi's image. Nevertheless, I get a lot of
> emails from initiators congratulating me on the style and content and
> sense of balance. To date I have had about half a dozen
> communications cricical of the book, and this includes TMO lawyer
> faxes before the book was read.

I actually read the book. Bought it too -- for full price. I was not
aware of it, until I saw it in a Santa Monica bookstore, when I was at
the PacPal MAV center for panchakarma. Around 1995. Daily yucking it
up with some Purusha who were visiting there. At that time, I was not
a full timer or traditional TBer, but I was participating in several
TMO programs, MAV, MJ, etc, at the time.

As I recall the book, I liked it. I thought it nice to have an
"outside" view of MMY, with some attempt at objectivity. Much better
for mass consumption, and potential mass appreciation, I thought, than
some gushing TMO biased in-house book.

My only thought of "critique" of the book was that at times it
appeared not to have the full story. Which was understandable, from it
being, from what I supposed, to be written by an outsider journalist.
The book was a good and reasonable start but perhaps not the last word
--  was my impression.

I was then intrigued and heartened when Paul started posting and
participating in FFL and other news groups. I thought -- good -- he
will be able to fill in more of the "gaps" now -- and I applauded him
in my mind for "continued research".

Its only recently that I have become aware that Paul was in Rishikesh,
and initiated in London in the early 70's, and thus was more of an
insider than I had thought (perhaps that was in the book -- I just
don't recall it at the moment.) Though not an initiator, govornor,
staff, full-timer type of insider where, most will acknowledge, some
interesting views or the TMO and MMY emerge.

And I have been greatly impressed by Pauls SBS research and homepage.
Great work.

Anyway, I personally find Paul to be making a positive contribution to
the list. And I can't remember anything from his book that seemed
unfair -- just behaps "incomplete" in some areas. As any single volume
book-lengthed treatment must be. I have not followed all of the finer
details of the current debate of he said ... etc. And don't really
care to. I just wanted to positively endorse Paul's overall
contribution to the list and his SBS work, from a one-time full-time
initiator, governor, associate 108 and neer-do-well hanger-on'er
during the latter 60's and most of the 70's.