On 12/29/2012 11:53 AM, Xenophaneros Anartaxius wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:
>
>> I'll get around to seeing "Lincoln" probably the way I watched "The Dark
>> Night Rises" on Bluray as I did last night.  First off I was pissed that
>> the was mostly 16:9 instead of 2:35:1.  Gives me pause to ever rent
>> another WB title again.  Second, the story seemed to telegraph to the
>> audience that it is bad to go up against the rich and be for the
>> people.  That seemed to be some social engineering that wasn't needed.
>> Afterward I found a Netflix indie to wash my palette.
> The Dark Knight Rises was shot in multiple formats.
>
> Here is a discussion:
> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425159/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-aspect-ratio
>
> Follow the discussion, the first post starts it off.

As they mentioned switching formats in a film has been done before.
Question is how was it shown in theaters?  If this is what Nolan wanted
he forgot that home watchers would think that their disc version was
less than what they would have seen in theaters.   IMAX is really
nothing more than a marketing thing.  I've never found it that much more
spectacular (I'm sure there will be a lot of disagreement).  I would
have left the disc entirely in 2:35:1 or "scope" which as the discussion
points out the "scope" aspect ratio can vary a bit but differences
negligible.  There was at least one LCD panel by Phillips that was 21:9
(has a mathematical relationship to 1:77:1 or 16:9) and my editing
software has a setting for it too.  Unless shot with an anamorphic lens
"scope" is usually a matted full frame.   Don't have time right now to
get into the whole discussion on AVS Forum and finding the American
Cinematographer article might be a quicker read.  I used to read that
magazine when I was a kid.