--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Here's a Guardian article that points out the very real possibility
> that many (if not all) the reports of murders, rapes and armed
> gangs were created by rumor and a press craving disaster in alll
> its flavors.

The idea that they may never have happened because
nobody has come forward to substantiate them is
itself pretty dubious.  These people were likely
too busy trying to stay alive, and then attempting
to get out of the city, to track down a policeman,
if they could even have found one who had the time
to take their report.

The police force in New Orleans is in significant
disarray at the moment.  A lot of them have apparently
walked off the job, because the stress was too great,
or they needed to see to the safety of their own
families.  Some apparently drowned in the flood in
their homes.  Morale is rock-bottom.  Two officers
have committed suicide.  They may not be feeling
like confirming anything that they could be blamed
for.

I saw a segment on CNN this evening in which a woman
who had been in the Superdome for four days gave an
account of being terrorized at night--in the pitch
black--by gangs of young men.

And it's not clear when the Guardian looked for
bodies in the Convention Center, or where.  Some
of the bodies have been removed, but one reporter
was allowed to look in the "cooler," or what
would have been a cooler if there had been power,
where some 30 bodies had been stashed because the
door could be closed on them to contain the stench.

> I also find it interesting that even the Mayor is
> claiming 10,000 dead, but so far only a few hundred bodies have
> been found.  The articles on bodies all say things like, "Just wait
> until all the waters recede - then the bodies will show up."  But
> bodies float for days after death.  They don't sink.

I think they're referring to the bodies of people
trapped and drowned in the houses that are still
under water.

And it's not that only a few hundred bodies have been
*found*; it's that only a few hundred bodies have been
found, taken to the morgue, and *counted*.

Let's hope the mayor is wrong, but we really have no
way of knowing yet.