--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann"  wrote:

> Aw, now you've done it. EVERYONE will know what a
> softy, sucky person you are Raunchy.
> I think on the hedgehog it is all those little
> pink toes and bellybutton that get me, plus how
> gently the person is holding it.

Just as a warning to those who are drawn to photos
of hedgehogs, and how cute they are and all, there
is a *reason* that the person is holding it gently.

I ran into a hedgehog once, in Paris of all places.
It had gotten trapped on the wrong side of a busy
street and was trying to make its way back to the
park on the other side, during rush hour traffic.

Knowing that he wasn't going to make it, I tried
to help. It did what hedgehogs do when I tried to
lift it, and rolled into a cute little ball, like
the one in the photo has done. However, what I had
failed to realize in my state of compassion-inspired
helpfulness is that hedgehogs are basically tiny
porcupines. That stuff that looks like cute, cuddly
fur in the photo is really spines, and they are
WAY sharp.

Since there was no way I could pick him up and carry
him, I finally got him across the street by coaxing
him onto my laptop, and carrying it across. I put
him down and he scampered away, but not without
turning around and looking at me quizzically, as if
to say, "WTF was THAT?" His expression made me LOL
then, and again now, remembering it.