Because that's what the Vasta-purusha mandala --the mandala of the divine
macrocosm-person -- says is the quality of that direction of his mandala. If
"little man", the microcosm, wants to be in harmony with duh "Big man",
Purusha, then you arrange microcosm according to Purusha's mandala.

This is also related to the Charaka shloka (which Mahesh used to repeat a
lot): "yathA pinde, tathA brahmAnde": "As in the microcosm, the human body;
so in the macrocosm, the body of the Universe".