on 9/7/05 4:04 PM, Rick Archer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Maybe I'll forward these comments on to the Amma folks.

I did:

Regarding Amma¹s comments on
http://www.amritapuri.org/amma/2005/508vedic.php

Several people have pointed out the following to me:

The British are responsible for preserving much of the ancient literature
they found when they arrived in India.  For many, no doubt, it was to study
the "inferior culture", but others were very impressed with Hinduism as a
way of thought and belief (C.S. Lewis, for example).

There's no evidence that the British burned all the pramana granthas and
'validating texts' - in fact, if wasn't for the British many thousands of
Indian sacred texts would have been lost to eternity.