--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37"  wrote:

> wiki is wildly wrong on at least two of these figures:
>
> wiki says:
> 3 million people marched through London, UK, and 3 million
> people marched through Rome, Italy in opposition to the
> U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in the largest anti-war rallies
> in history on February 15, 2003.

Ooooo, you left out an important word there, didn'tcha?
(So did Buck.)

I'm sure it was accidental.

The word is "estimated." Both figures are estimates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_peaceful_gatherings_in_history

http://tinyurl.com/mqsff7

> Actually, police figures for the London demonstration were
> 750,000. Three million is almost impossible, since that
> would amount to over 5 percent of the entire population of
> England and Wales.

An estimated 12 million attended the funeral of Ayatollah
Khomeini. That's 16 percent of the population of Iran.

Event perceived to be very important can attract lots and
lots of people. From a third to a half of Brits opposed
the war in Iraq.

> As for the Rome figure, the police issued
> no estimate. The figure of 3 million came from the organizers
> of the rally.

So how do you know it was "wildly wrong" if there wasn't
even a police estimate?

No source is given for the UK figure, which is most
definitely a black mark for Wikipedia. But typically police
underestimate the size of gatherings, especially anti-
government rallies; and typically the organizers over-
estimate them. Often the police circumscribe the area to
be counted more tightly--e.g., how many people were
packed into a city square--and organizers extend it, e.g.,
they include people who couldn't get into the square
because it was too full.

It's impossible at this juncture to know what the real
numbers were for either Italy or the UK. If you split the
difference between police and organizer estimates for
London, you get close to 2 million.

At the least, it's a very inexact science for very
large gatherings. If somebody estimated that 30 million
people attended the London rally, you could say that was
"wildly wrong," but I don't think it's appropriate for
an estimate of 3 million.