On 01/22/2013 06:07 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:

>>> I grab my own gmail feed with Thunderbird, which might work with your
>>> python script. But, I took one look at it in Notepad and immediately
>>> realized there was no way in hell I'd ever figure out how to use it.
>>>
>>> At least with the PHP script, it was a set it and forget it situation, with
>>> no running stuff from a command line and having to make sure added
>>> parameters/variables are the right syntax. It runs from a .BAT file, and a
>>> freebie scheduler program runs the .BAT program once a day.
>>>

>> There is all of one line you need to fill in for the Python script to run:
>> mbox = " "
>>
>> I've also included a link to the Thunderbird site to help find what the
>> path to the FFL folder is.  On Windows you can actually just click on
>> the script and it will run it in a console window.  Very simple or you
>> can also launch it from the console window then redirect to a file.  It
>> may sit a little bit while saying "Getting messages...." and you can
>> make that time short by running Compact more frequently.  It's not mean
>> to be a replacement for the PHP script which is automated but just a
>> handy local script you can use to check counts against.  It does not
>> download any messages but just gets the messages from your mbox file.
>>

> You make it sound all so simple, so I went ahead and tried it. As usual, the
> reality is a whole lot more difficult. Installing Python was a breeze, but I
> can't figure out how to run a script. If I double click the script file in
> Windows Explorer, a command line window launches for a fraction of a second
> and then closes. If I double click the python executable, I get a command
> line window in which I have no idea how to get the script file to run.
>
> But, hey, at least I was able to find my Inbox:
>
> C:\Users\alex\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\57d35iy6.default\Mail\pop.googlemail.com
>
> File name: Inbox
>
> Any advice on how I can get this to work?

Try:

mbox =
C:\Users\alex\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\57d35iy6.default\Mail\pop.googlemail.com\Inbox

In the command line window enter:
python pycount.py

However clicking it may now work if the mbox = line is correct.  My
scripts would leave the console window open on Windows 7.  This only
reads the Inbox file and doesn't write to it.

Then the window won't close but will either generate the list or an
error message.  Python should be version 2.7 not 3.x.  For who knows why
they changed a bunch of stuff in Python3 like the print command which is
now a function.  Dweebs just can't resist twiddling I guess.