Michael Jackson:
> I am wondering what the deal is on puja anyway.

Puja is all about placement and positioning.

The placement and positioning of fire; being mesmerized
by fire was the first meditation.

So, let's review what we know:

The controlled use of fire has been dated by archaeoligists
to have occured two million years ago with the emergence
of Homo erectus and 100,000 years ago the campfire was
invented.

Source:

'Spark of Genius'
Did fire influence the evolution of the human mind?
Smithsonian, December 2012

So, let's summ up what we know:

Contrary to popular belief, the first use of fire was not
for warmth or for cooking food, but as a fetish, used to
impress the neighbors. At night a fire served as a light
source and a way to deter predators.

The hearth-fire was the first puja, it was fire magic;
an innovation that changed our brain's way of regulating
time. The first campfire or hearth was the first puja.

The very first 'holy' object worshiped by man and woman,
the flame, may have been a geomantic gadget placed
inside a natural vastu dome!

Inside that cave, which was at times very dark and dank,
with nothing to do but ideate, fornicate and meditate,
the first man-controlled light was invented. In that very
instance was born the tradition of human enlightenment;
they indeed 'saw the light', they 'loved the light' and
they lived 'in the light'!

Read more:

Forum: alt.meditation.transcendental
Subject: In a nutsehll, the original holy tradition of human enlightenment.